Author Topic: New bedside  (Read 15473 times)

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
New bedside
« on: July 07, 2011, 09:52:29 AM »
If I bought a new bedside would it be just the outer skin or would it be complete? Where the tailgate parts bolt on and behind the taillights is damaged on mine and a skin wouldn't fix it.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline nucknoel89

• Frequent Member
  • Proud to be Canadian!
Re: New bedside
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 10:21:39 AM »
From what I've seen in catalogues it looks like they come complete.

Offline ToddN

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 03:10:30 PM »
Where are you looking at buying.  I'm debating on buying the wheel arch panels because thats the only place that isn't solid on my bed.  I have little to no bodywork experiance though.
A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take everything you have.

Offline slammed79

• Thou shalt not drive stock
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 09:11:47 PM »
I've bought bedsides from the catalogue company, and wasn't overly impressed. I'd hit the yards and find one. A lot less cash.

Patch panels aren't too bad as long as you can weld.
74 C10 Long bed 350/SM465 Lowered on 20's

Praise the lowered

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 12:36:55 AM »
what type of bed are we talking about?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline ToddN

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 06:22:14 AM »
I'm talking fleetside.  I can weld....trailer hitches and crap.  Just not sure about the cutting thing. :-\
A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take everything you have.

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 05:24:48 AM »
I was talking about a fleetside 6'. I just picked one up and need to do some work to it and thought that a whole bedside might be the way to go.

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline slammed79

• Thou shalt not drive stock
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 11:06:12 PM »
Got some pics of the issues? I'd try and salvage it if it were me
74 C10 Long bed 350/SM465 Lowered on 20's

Praise the lowered

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 09:05:52 AM »
I'll get some pics.
For now here is a little better information on the issues.
I got this bed cheaper than it was listed on craigslist for because the seller wanted to save the tailgate and trunions. He couldn't get the bolts out for the trunions because the welded in nut broke free, then he tried prying them out and cut them with a sawzall. I bought the bed anyway because there is no rust underneath at all. Wheel arches are perfect. Where I live it is very hard to find any of these beds so to me this is still a deal. But, if you look in where the tail lights bolt to the bed there is rust growing. I know what it will look like after I sandblast it (swiss cheese probably). I don't want to leave that area with any issues burried under a new paint job. I know that I can buy a patch panel for the outside and a new rear post but there is another piece in between them that I need.

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 03:25:03 PM »
This is what I am concerned about. The piece between the post and the outside skin.

The floor and the crossmembers make this bed worth fixing to me.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:47:38 PM by thirsty »

Offline Cabcorner

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 06:03:42 AM »
That area of the box side can be repaired I did it on my short box fleetside. I made a template out of an old pizza box and cut the metal out of a flat section of a parts cab. I disassembled the box because the floor was shot and repaired the box sides on saw horses. My repair required 3 patches , the lower part of the tail light support that drops down and has the nuts welded on the back to hold the tail gate hinge,a 5"x1-1/2" section of the outer skin and a piece that repaired the lower 2-1/2" of the tailgate post and dropped down to the hinge. I  butt welded the last piece using a series of spot welds grinding them flush with a flap disk. I was pleased with the result and doubt I would have got a better repair from a body shop. I could have got the replacement box sides off craigslist at the time for 150 each but this project was all about cheap. I'll try and find some pics.

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 01:56:42 PM »
@Cabcorner. Pics are always great. I am probably going to repair the sides I have.

Offline Cabcorner

• Registered Users
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 04:51:36 PM »
First try sending pics

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 05:43:39 AM »
Nice job on the pieces you made Cabcorner!

Offline Cabcorner

• Registered Users
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 07:27:02 PM »
Thanks ,I lost the pics that show the rest of the process when I upgraded my phone.I was able to locate the holes by marking them in the outer piece,drilling it out then transfering them to the inner piece then I cleaned up the nuts and welded them on the back . It doesn't look it will be that easy for you. When I made the inner piece I made a lip that faced up in the pics and spot welded through the outer skin to strengthen the hinge area. Then I plug welded the piece in the pics to the inner piece and but welded it to the bottom of the post.