Author Topic: Need Advice for Front Differential Choice  (Read 383 times)

Offline Dr_Snooz

• "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff"
Need Advice for Front Differential Choice
« on: December 04, 2023, 09:59:54 AM »
I'm looking for recommendations for a front differential. I have a clutch-type LSD in the rear and am looking for something better than the open diff I have in the front. I'm NOT building a rock crawler and this truck will see few 4x4 trails. I need something that will get me out of my driveway when the rain turns it into a slick track, and something that will perform well on the snowy icy roads in the National Park that is 30 minutes up the mountain from here. I'd like something well-mannered, like my LSD. It doesn't make any noise, doesn't intrude too much on normal driving, but still gives me the option to put in heavier springs and get more aggressive if I choose to later.

What does everyone think? Another clutch-type LSD? A gear-driven Eaton True Trac? A lunchbox locker?
1989 Chevy Suburban V-2500, 5.7L, TH400

1990 Chevy C-3500 Ext. Cab, 7.4L, 3L80

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT 4WD, 4.8L, 4L60

Online Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Need Advice for Front Differential Choice
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 11:08:52 AM »
When the front is locked and on ice it will only want to go in the same direction the rear is pushing it.  Having locking hubs will lesson the impact since you can just engage them when you need to.
I run a selectable locker in my Jeep LJ now front and rear, (just completed it), they are OX Lockers. 
In the past on Ice, I never engaged 4x4 on anything I was driving as I never needed it where I live.

If I had to pick outside of a selectable: Ox locker, air locker or E-locker I would probably run a Torsion Type for a driver like the TrueTrac.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Need Advice for Front Differential Choice
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 05:34:58 PM »
Sounds like you need new tires. If you have an LSD and 4x4 that should be plenty to get you out of your driveway.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10