Author Topic: installing door hinge pins  (Read 3948 times)

Offline blackie

installing door hinge pins
« on: September 15, 2009, 05:05:47 PM »
Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I've read quite a lot on the board, but do to my lack of knowledge I have yet to contribute.

I am trying to install new hinge pins on my drivers door.  I have the door off, and cut the bottom pin out.  I bought the $5 'help' kit at autozone with a pin and brass bushings.  I tapped the new bushings into place, and tried to hammer the new pin in, but it wont go.  I have beat the heck out of it with a hammer and it wont drive into place.  Is there a trick I'm not aware of or a special tool?  It slides down almost to the head of the pin, but the part immediately under the head of the pin has ridges all the way around it. 

And I thought getting the old pins out was the hard part!

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: installing door hinge pins
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 05:22:05 PM »
Is everything lined up?  You should be able to hammer it in there.

Offline blackie

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 05:26:01 PM »
to the best of my knowledge everything is lined up. The pin slides easily all the way down until the right before the head, then when i start hammering, it doesn't go any further. The bushings appear to be mounted flush.  I thought this part would be easy...

Offline blackie

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 02:53:24 PM »
Well I finally got them in, but it required me taking a drill bit and wallowing out the hole in the hinge that the grooved part of the pin sets in. I only took a little bit of metal out, and the pin drove into place with a hammer and everything fits snug.  Door closes much better now.

Offline joesgarage71

• Wrench
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 05:52:59 AM »
That is suppose to be a interference fit, now your pins are going to be loose.
78' K-20 355/SM465/twin stick 205 6" on 36's
14 bolt FF/big bearing Dana 44 4.56 gears

92' GMC C-1500 454/4L80E/14 bolt

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »
Some of the kits I have used in the past have needed to drill out the hole. The bushing is what i was thinking is oversized in case the hole in the hinge was egged out.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs