Author Topic: Srteering colum trouble  (Read 3036 times)

Offline jbickler

Srteering colum trouble
« on: June 29, 2003, 06:59:00 PM »
I have a 76 4x4 3/4 ton with dana 60 rear an 44 front (with the biggest hubs I have yet to see on a 4x4 -- weird) with 4spd manual and 205 x-sfer case -- I am considering swapping the drive terrain into my Dad's 83 3/4 ton (2 wd with a corporate 12 bolt rear & 700R4) that he just repainted and puts lots of work into freshing it up.  Whad do ya think???

Now to the important stuff.  I have slop in the tilt colum and have spent far to long pulling the coloum apart.  I can't figure out how to get the tilt lever out of the hole and the wires for the haz/turn signals disconnected so I can get to the 3 bolts that tightens up the tilt part of the colum.

Offline 79SilveradoK30

Wierd
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 08:13:00 PM »
Dana 60 rear and 44 front, huh? I'm not sure if you want to heard this, but that's the same axle setup that's under my friend's '98 1/2-ton Dodge (am I allowed to say that?).

What's more confusing is that it's a Dana 60 rear, instead of the corporate semi-floater 14-bolt that I've normally seen in 3/4 tons. Same with your dad's '83, maybe it's just me, but the only pickup applications I've heard of with 12-bolt rears are 1/2-tons.

Sorry about the rant. About the swap, if the trucks have the same wheelbase, the swap should work fine. You'll need to pluck the axles, springs and shocks, t-case, and likely driveshafts from the '76 (with all mounting parts), and install them in the '83. I don't know how involved this is, so you may have to ask someone who's done a 2WD to 4WD conversion.

Offline 79GMC4x4

• Registered Users
You sure???
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2003, 12:21:00 AM »
K30, I smell something funny here too.  Bickler, you need to look closer at the drive train under that donor truck.  Sure it's a Chevy?