Author Topic: completely new exhaust q's  (Read 4079 times)

Offline Sierra4x4

• Registered Users
completely new exhaust q's
« on: March 10, 2003, 07:55:00 AM »
I just got some full length headers for my truck. Im wondering how i should do the rest of the exhaust. Im looking into a true dual setup and I could either go one of three ways. Either run two pipes similar to the y pipe it has now/run the passenger pipe over the crossmember and beside the t-case, which is a little close and im not sure about or run it underneath the crossmember which is the easiest way, but could get in the way if I had to pull a tranny or t-case. Also how could i get an x pipe in there? I hear they make a difference and would like to get this done right the first time for the last time. One last q, Could I damage anything by driving 10 miles to the exhaust shop with just headers or should i install the true dual part then hook up the headers after they are in? I dont think the cops would care actually. No noise laws here. Any help is appreciated, especially pictures! thanks.

Offline Sierra4x4

• Registered Users
Re: completely new exhaust q's
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2003, 08:56:00 AM »
I also forgot to ask, what size pipe should be used?

Offline 83CHEVY

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2003, 09:18:00 AM »
What year is your truck and what size is your engine?

Mike

Offline Sierra4x4

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2003, 08:16:00 PM »
79 350.
One shop quoted me 285 for duals with flowmasters, another shop 389 for it. Its outrageous.

Offline Eric 85K10

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2003, 01:00:00 AM »
A complete exhaust system from headers back isn't cheap... though dual exhaust with flowmasters for 285 is a good deal I think. I had fun dual exhaust 2-1/2" pipe with two glasspacks and chrome tips put on my 65 3/4ton chevy with a 327 and headers and I payed about 280 dollars. And glasspacks are cheaper than mufflers.

Btw running open full length headers isn't gonna hurt anything except your ears and make sure you have your windows down for when you stop the exhaust creeps up into the cab.

Offline 83CHEVY

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2003, 10:27:00 AM »
I paid 560 for a 3" single, a 3" cat, and a 3" to two 2-1/2" FlowMaster with rear exiting tailpipes.  I also had them put slash cut stainless tips on which are expensive.

Like Eric 85K10 says, a good exhaust job is not real cheap.

Mike

Offline Sierra4x4

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2003, 05:24:00 PM »
Well they'd only have to run 10 feet or so worth of pipe with barely any bends and a muffler. Im satisfied with 260$ But im still not sure about 3 1/2 inch pipe. I know it would probably sound nice but i dont want to loose my bottom end. should i go no more than 3?

Offline phaon1

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2003, 10:02:00 AM »
Assuming your 350 is pretty much stock, 3 1/2 is definately too big.  That will give you almost no back pressure (especially with an x-pipe in there) and will hurt power.  3" with an x-pipe should be fine on a stock 350.  3" should also have plenty of rumble - especially with flowmasters.

Chris

1981 GMC K10 – 75K miles on original parts (what few are left)
Exterior Mods –
- Royal Blue chameleon paint
- 15X11 Craiger chrome wheels
Interior Mods –
- B&M Light Truck Mega Shifter
- Grant steering wheel
- 6 Auto Meter Ultra Light gauges in dash, 2 on a-pillar
- Keyless entry
- Billet dash and door trim
- Solid headboard with four built in speakers
- Sony Mobil ES CD Deck, MTX truck boxes, Jensen AMP
Drivetrain Mods –
- GM Racing ZZ4 Engine with H.O.T. Cam kit, 150 amp alternator, PeteJackson Gear Drive
- Hooker SS headers, 2 1/2" SS exhaust, Dr. Gas x-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers
- K&N X-Stream lid and 14" air cleaner.
- Coan 3000RPM custom built torque converter
- Built-up 700R4 transmission
- Yukon 4.11 gears with titanium pins in stock 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear.
- Eaton heavy duty locker.

Offline Sierra4x4

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2003, 10:24:00 AM »
thanks! that's what i was looking for.