Author Topic: Water Temp Sensor Clip  (Read 3491 times)

Offline devildogmech

Water Temp Sensor Clip
« on: May 27, 2018, 01:12:18 PM »
Hey all,

The little plastic clip on the wire for my temp gauge disintegrated. I guess 40yrs is a decent service life or a piece of plastic.

Anyway, I cant keep the wire on the sensor terminal without this little clip. I've looked and cant find it anywhere. I'm probably not looking for the right thing.....

Any ideas.

TIA William
Be good, but not too good.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Water Temp Sensor Clip
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 07:40:40 AM »
what vehicle you working on? reason im asking is the older style should just be a spade connector, the newer style for a tbi would have a plastic connection for the tbi BUT those would only be 31 years old. not saying its not going to be brittle but it wont be 40
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline devildogmech

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 11:26:48 AM »
Sorry,

79' C-10 with a 350 SBC.

It is just a spade connector but without the plastic cover clip, the female spade connector just falls off all the time. kinda annoying.

TIA William

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 01:36:17 PM »
The connector doesn't retain the wire to the temperature sender.  Clamping tension of the terminal retains it. 
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 01:59:35 PM »
I had to replace mine cause it broke. Found replacements here and ordered 2 of them. This is for the nail head sender. Yours could be different. They might have the other types also.

http://www.repairconnector.com/products/GM-Single-Wire-Coolant-Temperature-Sender-Connector.html
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline devildogmech

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 06:10:40 PM »
I had to replace mine cause it broke. Found replacements here and ordered 2 of them. This is for the nail head sender. Yours could be different. They might have the other types also.

http://www.repairconnector.com/products/GM-Single-Wire-Coolant-Temperature-Sender-Connector.html

That is EXACTLY what I need! Wahoo!!!

Thanks!

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 06:19:58 AM »
You're welcome. I found the site 2 years ago when I needed one. There are other sites that have them that I have seen since then when looking for other parts. It was the first one I found at the time.  I think they have a lot of other type connector pigtails, I just haven't needed another yet.
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 08:48:49 AM »
if you dont care about the OEM look you can get away with a female spade connector that you would find in the hardware store
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 09:27:50 AM »
if you dont care about the OEM look you can get away with a female spade connector that you would find in the hardware store

I tried that too and could not keep the connector from spreading too much and not connecting very well. It did work but only for a short time, at least for me.
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 12:46:16 PM »
The correct terminal to use is pictured below.  The ramp of the terminal applies spring tension to clamp the sender blade.  A small raised nib on the terminal ramp engaged a hole in the sender blade to help lock the terminal in place.  The plastic connector varied with the style of sender, but the terminal remained constant from year to year throughout the period of square-body production.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline devildogmech

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 07:01:30 AM »
Yes, and mine is 40yrs old and worn out. It keeps sliding off without the plastic retainer. That new retainer comes with a new terminal too.....