Author Topic: 1977 K5 Blazer won't start need help  (Read 29265 times)

Offline VTK5Mudder

1977 K5 Blazer won't start need help
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:20:40 PM »
My sons 77 K5 blazer won't start again all he gets is a click from the switch he just put a new starter on it and after he did that it started right up which it did the next few times he tryed it now its right back to nothing its getting juice to the starter so does anybody have a clue what to look for ? i should tell you it has a 350 motor and 4spd tranny the motor , tranny and transfercase are suppose to be from a 79 3/4 ton wrecker. thanks for any help.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: 1977 K5 Blazer won't start need help
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:42:22 PM »
New solenoid?  Is the solenoid engaging?

Offline VTK5Mudder

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 10:40:10 PM »
Yes new starter and solenoid all it does is just click he took it back of (starter) and turned it by hand put it back on and nothing but clicking sound comming from it and like i said new starter&solenoid and worked fine a few times and now this again its the same thing his old starter did.

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 10:45:51 PM »
Is the battery charged. Do you have a big enough ground cable going to the engine?
1979 SCLB C20 Q-jet 350 SM465 14b F.F. 4.10 G80
1989 GMC Suburban V2500 TBI350 TH400 4in lift 35's 14b SF

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 10:46:54 PM »
a solenoid will get stuck if not enough juice.  Tap the starter/solenoid with a hammer lightly then jump it w/ another vehicle and see what happens.

Offline 1980c10

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 11:21:34 PM »
Tighten all of your wires connecting to the starter and battery cables as well.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 12:13:19 AM »
if your hearing the click the starter is getting the power just not engaging. this could be low power but thats usually comes with multiple clicks. or bad starter/solenoid. try jumping the starter see what it does. but more than likely he should just return the starter and get a new one
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VTK5Mudder

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 10:50:09 AM »
I think he has done all that , i know that battery is charged and the cables he has gone through and checked he has tapped the starter and nothing just clicking his old starter i know when he took it off he tried to jump it to get it to turn over and it wouldn't and think he said he put power to this one to but not sure , the bad thing is he has a 2000 3/4 ton chevy pickup that he just got running he took it out and a few days later went to try and start that and its doing the same thing ! and it has a pretty new starter&solenoid on it he had a problem with the timming on that truck but strange how both won't start and doing the same thing.

Offline sammy1759

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 11:25:47 AM »
Is he using the same battery for both trucks?  I would say to get a new battery. I just had a starting problem with my 78. Same as you say one good crank than the dreaded clicking.  Took battery to autozone for there free check. They said it was good. Had them check the alternator next and it was bad according to there check on it. One new alternator later and it still would not start. Back for the battery and I have had no  problem since. That battery was junk even though they said it was ok.

Sam

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 11:36:13 AM »
Was it a rebuilt starter? I have seen rebuilt starters fail soon after installation. Most are ok but every once in a while you get a dud.

Guessing from your name, your located in VT? If you were close enough to me I have a starter you could try. It takes me about 15 minutes to get to VT.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline bigchevyc30

• Frequent Member
  • the pig
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 11:53:56 AM »
ived had top get like 4 brand new starters as they kept doing the clicking and i had a brand new battery in it the 4th on is the one on my truck now and it worked from then on.
1980 c-30 dually R.I.P
1989 R2500 Sub 350/sm465
1984 k10 sub 6.2/700r4

Offline VTK5Mudder

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 04:42:13 PM »
Is he using the same battery for both trucks?  I would say to get a new battery. I just had a starting problem with my 78. Same as you say one good crank than the dreaded clicking.  Took battery to autozone for there free check. They said it was good. Had them check the alternator next and it was bad according to there check on it. One new alternator later and it still would not start. Back for the battery and I have had no  problem since. That battery was junk even though they said it was ok.

Sam
no different batterys i know he put my charger with the booster on it and he said it didn't do anything so ?

Offline VTK5Mudder

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 04:45:34 PM »
Was it a rebuilt starter? I have seen rebuilt starters fail soon after installation. Most are ok but every once in a while you get a dud.

Guessing from your name, your located in VT? If you were close enough to me I have a starter you could try. It takes me about 15 minutes to get to VT.
i'm not sure if its a rebuilt or not  i'll try and talk to him tonight and ask him and yup from VT i'm in Topsham and that very nice of you to offer thanks !

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 05:03:43 PM »
tell him to take it off and put the jumper pack on it see what it does
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 05:30:29 PM »
i'm in Topsham

That's a a little over an hour away...But it is not too far out of the way going to Thunder Road. ;D
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!