Author Topic: 79 silverado power window switch  (Read 2457 times)

Offline VTK5Mudder

79 silverado power window switch
« on: May 06, 2014, 02:54:51 AM »
I need help , I have a 79 chevy Silverado with power windows the drivers side switch I believe is gone {either side doesn't work just hear clicking} the problem is I cant find a new switch {its the double} I have found the single like whats on the pass. side but no luck for drivers side . I have found switches for early 80's truck and they look the same , does anybody know if they are ? or where I can get a new switch that doesn't cost a arm and a leg ! Thanks for any info,help I can get.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: 79 silverado power window switch
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 07:17:42 AM »
      Have you taken your old switch apart and cleaned it yet ?  They are prone to build up of corrosion on the metal tabs, cleaning them a lot of times will make them work again.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline VTK5Mudder

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 08:35:41 AM »
no I haven't, never really thought of that "duh" ill give that a try Thanks ! hopefully that will work got my fingers crossed if not do you know if one from a early 80's truck is the same ?

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 09:24:08 PM »
I don't sell the switches seperately right now, but most HELP! sections in Auto part stores have them.

Offline VTK5Mudder

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 06:18:00 AM »
that's what I thought , I can remember for years seeing them in that section of the parts stores but now they don't seem to have much of anything . a few handles, gas caps springs a few bolts but no switches etc. course are stores up here in VT aren't that big . thank you for your help m going to try and clean it up and see what happens but the way my luck is it wont work ! but if anybody else knows where to get a new one or if the early 80's will fit { which I can get for 12.00} please let me know would appreciate it  :)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 06:52:39 PM »
The switch should be the same from 77-87...

Offline VTK5Mudder

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 07:58:54 PM »
that's what I was wondering if it was the same or not , it looks the same but when I have emailed a couple of companies they just emailed back saying if it was listed for that truck then I wasn't the right part etc. etc. I was just hoping somebody would say they knew they would fit/be the same somebody besides me must have had to replace there switch's by now and have had to use one from a 80's truck .thanks

Offline wkeithwilson@gmail.com

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 10:44:49 PM »
I had the exact scenario on my 85 C10.  I was able to take my passengers side switch (single) and clean it up real good and get it to working again.  Make sure you also clean the connection inside the door well where it connects to the window motor.  On my dual switch on the drivers side, it was broken and did not work.  I bought one shipping and all for around $25.  I found a couple sites where it was a few dollars cheaper, but they were unknown with pretty bad customer reviews so I went with a reputable company.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 03:01:39 PM by bd »

Offline VTK5Mudder

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 05:55:47 PM »
I tried cleaning them up but no luck :( still just a click is all I hear.