Author Topic: 1985 C10 Pickup: Does it have a alt/gen idiot light? CS130 alt swap question  (Read 5166 times)

Offline vtvette

Hi all, I'm finishing up a complete rewire on a neighbors 1985 C10 2wd pickup. The previous owner swapped in a 454 from a 1994 Chevy Suburban, tried to piggyback the suburban harness onto the stock 1985 harness (one of the worse wiring jobs I've ever seen and I've done a lot of wiring) apparently could not get the stock FI to operate so they bolted on a carb and sold the truck.

I removed all the wiring from the truck headlight to taillight and replaces it with a bone stock complete harness I found at the local salvage yard (SCORE!). Everything works as it should but I have a question regarding the alternator:

As this is a 1994 454 in this truck it has the stock CS130 alternator. I used the stock CS130 connector from the 1994 suburban harness and connected it to the wires on the 1985 harness.

from the four pin/two wire black connector at the CS130 alternator one wire is connected to +12v the other (brown wire) is connected to the original 1985 alternator brown wire. This wire, circuit #25 on the GM wiring diagram, shows it leads to the firewall bulkhead connector then to the cluster where there is a Generator/Alternator light. My question:

I don't see a Generator/Alternator light in the stock cluster. I believe this is the original 1985 cluster. It has a large speedo and fuel gauge (no tach). If the cluster does not have an idiot light for the Gen/Alt (can anyone confirm?) then I need to add one to the tan wire circuit #25 to provide the proper resistance correct?

I just want to be sure I have the alternator wired correctly.

Thanks for any help,

B

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
All I can confirm is that they either had the gauge package or indicator lights.  The wiring harness and engine sending units are also unique to which package it has.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
If the 85 "has" factory gauges:  circuit 25 connects to ignition through a brown, single-strand resistance wire, which substitutes for the charge light.

If the 85 "does not have" factory gauges:  circuit 25 connects to ignition through a charge light in the cluster and a brown multi-strand wire.

See SI to CS Alternator Conversion for more detail.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline enaberif

If the 85 "has" factory gauges:  circuit 25 connects to ignition through a brown, single-strand resistance wire, which substitutes for the charge light.

If the 85 "does not have" factory gauges:  circuit 25 connects to ignition through a charge light in the cluster and a brown multi-strand wire.

See SI to CS Alternator Conversion for more detail.

For a SI to CS conversion all you need is a pigtail from Napa.. EC80 has no resistor and EC82 has a reistor. Its a plug and play harness for SI to CS and how I put a CS144 into my 74.

Offline vtvette

Thanks everyone for the help this is crystal clear to me now.

My final question - I assume this truck has what is referred to as the "Gauge Cluster" (has factory gauges)? as it has a large fuel gauge on the right, speedo on the left, and fuel/oil pressure/volt meter gauges. (does not have a factory tach in the cluster).

I can't find any pic's of what is referred to as the "idiot light cluster" (or non-gauges cluster)? I assume that is a bare bones cluster that uses lights as opposed to gauges?

Thanks again!

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Thanks everyone for the help this is crystal clear to me now.

My final question - I assume this truck has what is referred to as the "Gauge Cluster" (has factory gauges)? as it has a large fuel gauge on the right, speedo on the left, and fuel/oil pressure/volt meter gauges. (does not have a factory tach in the cluster).

I can't find any pic's of what is referred to as the "idiot light cluster" (or non-gauges cluster)? I assume that is a bare bones cluster that uses lights as opposed to gauges?

Thanks again!

You are correct in that assumption.  I will try and post a picture this weekend just to clarify.  I've not caught overheating problems in the past until it was too late.  I personally prefer the lights, they get your attention.  I will install a good set of mechanical gauges I would then refer to.  Sometimes the factory set is very inaccurate.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/