Author Topic: High/low beams on  (Read 9013 times)

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: High/low beams on
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 03:35:04 PM »
Stock configuration should do what you want, but technically the low beams don't stay on.  The top bulbs (low beams) should actually have a low and a high element in them, the bottom lights (high beams ) should only have one element.

So in low beam mode, the top lights have their low beam filament turned on.  Then in High mode, all four lamps will be on, but the High beam element/filament will be on in the top set. 

Do you lamps have both filaments?

Top should be H4656 (3 pins on back) bottom H4651 (2 pins on back)

X2 on this  ^^^^^  for the OE quad headlamp configuration.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline wheelnandealn

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 04:00:44 PM »
I'm kinda confused again. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you guys but I don't get what u guys mean by top lights and bottom lights. My truck has four separate headlights. Two on each side and they are side by side. The ones closest to the center are low beams and the outer ones closest to the fenders are high beams....I think. Maybe I have it reversed. But u get what I mean when I say there are four separate head lamps? I'm sorry for all the questions but thanx for the help. I have tried posting pix but it keeps saying the image is too large...I'm doing all this from my Android phone.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 05:39:38 PM »
I'm kinda confused again. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you guys but I don't get what u guys mean by top lights and bottom lights. My truck has four separate headlights. Two on each side and they are side by side. The ones closest to the center are low beams and the outer ones closest to the fenders are high beams....I think. Maybe I have it reversed. But u get what I mean when I say there are four separate head lamps? I'm sorry for all the questions but thanx for the help. I have tried posting pix but it keeps saying the image is too large...I'm doing all this from my Android phone.

Well, that explains it.  We're comparing apples to oranges.  No wonder we don't make any sense to you.  The standard quad headlamp configuration for 85 trucks is imaged below.  They are high/low beams on top, high beams only on bottom.

The front clip on your truck has been replaced with a later model.  The configuration should be low beams - outside pair, high beams - inside pair.  Your wiring can be reconfigured using a relay so that all four headlamps illuminate on high beam.  The relay will need to be controlled by the high beam circuit, so that it supplies alternate power to the low beams when the high beams are selected.  Assuming the front clip upgrade was sanely performed, it should not be difficult to modify.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline wheelnandealn

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 05:44:41 PM »
Lol and if all makes sense now! It think the upgrade has been done right. Whoever built the truck seemed to do a great job with the lift, paint etc. I will check it out this week and keep u  posted. Thanks so much. So what year truck would my front end be off of?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 05:51:51 PM »
WAG is an 89 crew cab(?).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 05:58:58 PM by bd »
Rich

Offline wheelnandealn

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 06:40:36 PM »
That's cool. So that front end I assume only came on the later model heavy duty trucks?

Offline timthescarrd

• Frequent Member
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 10:01:07 PM »
In 88 they switched all regular cab truck to a new body style but the Blazers, Suburbans and Crew-Cabs stayed the old body style but got a facelift.  So yours would be from a 88-91 R/V 2500/3500 crew-cab or 88-91 Suburban or Blazer R/V1500,2500.3500 

They changed the designation from C/K to R/V

Offline wheelnandealn

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 10:26:05 PM »
Yeah I talked to the guy I bought it from today and he said it's from a blazer. He said he liked it better. I actually do too.  8)