Author Topic: No Running lights?  (Read 4444 times)

Offline vjfelix55

No Running lights?
« on: March 22, 2017, 05:48:18 PM »
Hey guys I fixed the starter on my 81 k20 but another problem. I have no Running lights, I pull the headlight knob and I have no running tail lights, no headlights, and no park lights, but my blinkers all work, and my brake lights work, what could be the problem? Is there a fuse or is it the dimmer switch or headlight switch. Oh and the dome light does turn on when I spin the knob all the way to left.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: No Running lights?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 07:50:45 AM »
did they work before you fixed the starter?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 12:41:48 PM »
did they work before you fixed the starter?
Yes and I replaced the floor dimmer switch

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 01:12:58 PM »
Replace the tail lamp fuse and check for power on the yellow wire at the dimmer switch.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 05:20:30 PM »
Replace the tail lamp fuse and check for power on the yellow wire at the dimmer switch.
I can't really read the fuse box which fuse would it be?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 06:27:55 PM »
The fuse that's blown.  Tail lamps should take a yellow (20-amp) fuse.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 01:23:08 PM »
The fuse that's blown.  Tail lamps should take a yellow (20-amp) fuse.
None of my fuses are blown and still nothing but I found this idk what these wires go to

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 01:24:23 PM »
a little peek of the mess known as my fuse box

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 02:19:26 PM »
I'll revisit the running lamp problem in awhile.  But, in the meantime, that "mess" (your word) with its bare, cobbled wiring needs to cleaned up to avert the potential for catastrophic electrical fire.  The socket you are holding maybe the 4WD indicator in the cluster.
Rich

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 02:24:22 PM »
I'll revisit the running lamp problem in awhile.  But, in the meantime, that "mess" (your word) with its bare, cobbled wiring needs to cleaned up to avert the potential for catastrophic electrical fire.  The socket you are holding maybe the 4WD indicator in the cluster.
I taped up the exposed wires but there's not really a whole lot more I can do down there, and I have no idea where half of the wires even go

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 08:18:55 PM »
I want to think its the headlight switch but the switch still works turning on the dome light. Nothing on the first or second click when pulling the knob out though

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 10:21:53 PM »
Update: I touched a hot wire to each of the contacts in the plug for the headlight switch and the lights do work so I assumed it was a bad switch, I bought a new switch and still no luck,  which leads me to believe its the wire that provides power to the switch. I have no idea which wire that is or where it comes from but that must be the culprit

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 11:42:25 PM »
Use a test light clipped to a good ground and probe the red wire at the headlamp switch.  If it's dead, recheck the wire connections to the starter.  You probably didn't reconnect one of the fusible links to the 3/8" battery cable stud on the solenoid or one of the links is melted.  Two fusible links should connect to the solenoid 3/8" stud along with the battery cable.  Give both links a tug to see if they stretch or separate.
Rich

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 12:32:30 AM »
Use a test light clipped to a good ground and probe the red wire at the headlamp switch.  If it's dead, recheck the wire connections to the starter.  You probably didn't reconnect one of the fusible links to the 3/8" battery cable stud on the solenoid or one of the links is melted.  Two fusible links should connect to the solenoid 3/8" stud along with the battery cable.  Give both links a tug to see if they stretch or separate.
Definitely will check out, last time I was down there I was wiring a new positive from the battery and I only saw one link besides the battery one so that's probably it

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 02:09:46 PM »
would this be the wire that goes to the starter for my lights? Or what's left of it