Author Topic: 03-04 Silverado Seats?  (Read 22492 times)

Offline modular93fox

• Registered Users
Re: 03-04 Silverado Seats?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 07:36:20 PM »
i installed those same seats in my 87. nothing more than custom brackets made from 1.5" square tubing and the factory seat sliders. no i dont have pictures, its pretty strait foward . seriously you can probally do just about any seat with custom brackets...
1987 5.3 4l60e Silverado - daily driver with A/C,P/W,P/L,TILT, HID projectors & 13.8" Rear Disc Brakes
A poor man buy's it twice

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 01:25:40 PM »
hey looks good ...i will do that ...thank for info
Heartbeat of America yesterday's cheverolet
18T5C10

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 11:36:35 PM »
The only thing I would be worried about would be the seats being too high, or sitting to close to the steering wheel without being able to scoot back. Better choose wisely though, as it's unlikely the junkyard, or whoever you buy 'em from will take em back. And if you have to sell 'em you'll probly have to sell 'em for half what you paid. That's what scares me about all this seat business, even though I really want some new ones.

But @ DFAA and Modular93Fox, where did yall get the zephyr seats idea? Is that like a commonly known, tried and true seat for these old trucks, or something? Also, what did you use for a center console? I like to have something high enough to also be used as an armrest.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 11:39:36 PM by Skunksmash »

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 10:28:31 PM »
hi has anyone got these to work in73-87 yet with no tilt i  found a leather set for 20.00 ....with one little tear
18T5C10

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 10:45:38 AM »
Shoot for $20 I would go ahead and pick em up anyway. You could always just resell them and get your $20 back if it doesn't work out. At that price you shouldn't have any problem getting rid of them.

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 01:43:31 AM »
i got a set of these but center dont fold...i'm not using it any way .im gonna make a custom console with floor shifter ......any back to this seat iassue .......heres what i done ......remove the entire seat track from 99+ seats (you will have to drill out the rivets to get them off ) this will make them sit about the same as fact bench seat .i went to a machine shop and had 2-10ga  c-channels ($30)made that is 59.25 long . with 1" leg and 1/2 back leg .these two peices are what u will bolt ur buckets to with ...using ur fact bench  seat tracks to hold them in place . therefore u will not have to drill any holes  in truck floor only on c- channels.u will have to grind a notch in channel for it to fit level under fact seat track .after u get the channels to sit level .....u should have about 5.5 inches of channel on both sides of ur fact seat bracket .and about 6" or so apart ......now put ur seat in and mark the holes for the bolts ....(outside buckets hole are in a tight spot i used nail polish to mark the holes because u cant get a pencil in there)on the channel and drill them out ........u can tighten the fac seat brackets down .....they now hold ur new seat track for ur buckets in place ...mount ur seat to the channel and u done .....u will not have any seat adjustment .....they will still fold forward of couse.........will post pics later cam broke................the center seat will work but u will have to cut it down 3" or so ............i'm not gonna say this was easy but it will be the next time because i know what to do....so far these seats cost me ..
20 for seat
30 for c-channel
8 for bolts,washer,nuts
4 for black paint
$62 bucket seat.....im happy
18T5C10

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 03:59:01 PM »
That's awesome, especially for the total cost you have into it. I like those seats cause you can use the center console as an armrest. And they are more comfortable for long trips than the factory bench too. But there seems to be some guys that like to do lincoln Zephyr seats for some reason. Maybe it just so happens to be, that you don't have to do any bracket fab, they just bolt right in, or something. But I like to have an armrest over there so I don't know how you would go about that with those seats.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 05:31:16 PM by Skunksmash »

Offline swcu_21

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 07:35:40 PM »
Has anyone tried this conversion to a 86 GMC standard cab style with a set of 98 Chevy truck buckets? My dad has a set in his 98 4 door ton truck that would fit my color scheme very well. I would really like to be able to slide the seat too. My 86 has a Tilt steering wheel, I guess that would make it easier. If some one has pics that would be awesome.

Thanks,
J
Workin on reviving my great grandpas 86 GMC 1/2 ton. 350/290 crate in; Tranny in planning stage.

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 02:25:11 PM »
I got a set of these but center don't fold...I'm not using it any way. Im gonna make a custom console with floor shifter ......any back to this seat issue .......here's what i done. ......remove the entire seat track from 99+ seats (you will have to drill out the rivets to get them off ) this will make them sit about the same as fact bench seat .i went to a machine shop and had 2-10ga  c-channels ($30)made that is 59.25 long . with 1" leg and 1/2 back leg .these two peices are what u will bolt ur buckets to with ...using ur fact bench  seat tracks to hold them in place . therefore u will not have to drill any holes  in truck floor only on c- channels.u will have to grind a notch in channel for it to fit level under fact seat track .after u get the channels to sit level .....u should have about 5.5 inches of channel on both sides of ur fact seat bracket .and about 6" or so apart ......now put ur seat in and mark the holes for the bolts ....(outside buckets hole are in a tight spot i used nail polish to mark the holes because u cant get a pencil in there)on the channel and drill them out ........u can tighten the fac seat brackets down .....they now hold ur new seat track for ur buckets in place ...mount ur seat to the channel and u done .....u will not have any seat adjustment .....they will still fold forward of couse.........will post pics later cam broke................the center seat will work but u will have to cut it down 3" or so ............i'm not gonna say this was easy but it will be the next time because i know what to do....so far these seats cost me ..
20 for seat
30 for c-channel
8 for bolts,washer,nuts
4 for black paint
$62 bucket seat.....im happy

Hi I tried to send you a message, but it screwed up at the last second so I'm not sure if it went through. I'll just ask you here. Can you slide the new seats forward and backward? And if so, do they go all the way forward and all the way back like the old bench did?

Offline DFAA

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 01:33:06 PM »
But @ DFAA and Modular93Fox, where did yall get the zephyr seats idea? Is that like a commonly known, tried and true seat for these old trucks, or something? Also, what did you use for a center console? I like to have something high enough to also be used as an armrest.

Personally I just found seats I liked on ebay(caddy seats are nice, but all have the logo, which I didnt want), and worried about how to mount them later.

I used the center console out of a 2009 Silverado(fold down for cup holder,storage bin, fold up for 3rd seat), fits well with very minor modifications to the brackets, and is a perfect height for an armrest. This came out of a truck with 20 miles on it, so was in perfect condition.

Dan

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 02:22:12 PM »
Does it still scoot all the way forward and back? And do you still have plenty of legroom? What were the minor modifications that you had to do?

Offline DFAA

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 03:11:48 PM »
Yes, the seats move forward and back all the way, plenty of leg room for me (5'11'', 195#s). Can set tilt all the way down and still slide in and out. I could move them even further back, but the seat-back would be a little too vertical for me.

Center console modifications were simply cutting the flat part(bottom w/ bolt holes) of each leg bracket, thats it, otherwise fit perfectly.

As far as seat bracket modifications, I just did a brief writeup in my "Members Rides" thread (83 short project)
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=12670.15

Dan

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 04:09:29 PM »
no they dont  .....they are off the sliders....really didnot matter to me that dont ..because i never moved my old one s......
18T5C10

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 07:50:43 PM »
Looks like those are electric seats. Did you hook em up to a power source? If so do they work pretty well?

Offline DFAA

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 11:51:24 PM »
On mine(8-way driver, 6-way passenger), they are both full power with lumbar. Plus heat and cool. I have not had a chance to get the heat and cool working though. I need to get the right switches and figure out the wiring. To get all the movement working was only 3 wires(2 fused 12v and a ground), and it works just fine.