Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

* Search

* Top Boards

All Classified forums require a Site Supporter subscription.  It is only $25 per year and you can buy and sell whatever you like on the forum.  To become a Site Supporter, go to Your Profile and select "Paid Subscriptions."

Welcome to 73-87chevytrucks.com

73-87chevytrucks.com is not only a forum we are also a vendor for a variety of parts both replacement and custom. Check out our store at 73-87chevytrucks.com Online Store

73-87chevytrucks Social Network

We are also on Facebook so give us a like to the page if you like what you see: http://www.facebook.com/7387chevytrucks

Follow us on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/7387chevytrucks

Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/7387chevytrucks

73-87chevytrucks Merchandise

Looking for a shirt, cap hoodie or anything else with our logo, check out or Cafepress site or our Spreadshirt site

November 22, 2021, 01:07:04 PM by nbarr7 | Views: 278 | Comments: 15

Greetings all.
A brief backstory, if I may. I didn't grow up working on engines. My family and my proclivities at the time let me in other directions and helped me gain expertise in other areas. Fast forward to my middle years here, and I'm finding engine work terribly interesting, and yet I realize I'm working from a deficit of understanding and experience. To begin addressing this lack, I started out repairing some jet skis since they're so simple relatively speaking - things like replacing burned down pistons, rings, starters, rebuilding carbs, gaskets etc. It seems like all mechanic roads lead to vehicles for the road, so of course, eventually I followed the momentum of this interest and found a 1987 Chevrolet Silverado (tbi) 4x4 V10 with a 305/auto here in Minnesota that had been sitting for a few years (last oil change sticker was 2016) that was not running at the time due to a fuel delivery issue. "Ok great," I thought "I can figure that out." Well, I ended up just putting essentially a new fuel system in the right side (has dual tanks) so the RH side has a new tank, new pump, new in-tank sock, new sending unit, new soft lines from there to the selector valve, new in-line filter, and I cleaned out the hard lines and the tbi throttle body. So far so good. Here's a video of how it went once I got all that done and added 4-5 gallons (please note the truck has both manifolds both running into a single glass pack, then splitting to those tiny pipes under the bumper - so it will sound consistent with that)
https://youtu.be/xOM2q9UARco

One of the other fun elements is that the previous owner - for whatever reason - completely disassembled the dash. I haven't looked into the electrical side yet, but I've done some other electrical work so I think I can figure some of it out when the time comes, but I did find the main plug on the back of the gauge cluster was unplugged. Plugged it back in, and to my dismay my oil pressure gauge is either broken, the sending unit is broken, or I don't have oil pressure. I don't hear a lot of valve train noise, but I still am not really driving it anywhere yet until I get an oil pressure tester (on order). Just a couple comments/pseudo questions:

Any advise regarding the possibility of no oil pressure? Getting a testing kit all I need to do to trouble shoot? Also, you can see it does start to smoke a bit a little bit after startup (around the time I go around the big boat in the video). It doesn't smell like coolant to me, but I do have coolant leaving the system somewhere (I'll probably have to get a pressure tester for that too). I did a spot check of cylinder compression to see if the engine was worn out and burning oil because of worn out rings, but I got 140psi. I know I need to check them all, but if I have one or two with good pressure, it should mean the entire motor isn't just worn out I'd think... Mileage on the odo is something like 80k, but of course I'm not sure this is the original dash cluster (it came with a spare for example) and not sure if that's 180 (likely).

I should say that the old oil is full, but dark. I'm planning on changing it but didn't think that would make the difference for the gauge showing literally zero.

End goal is not a show truck, or anything, but I'd like it to be mechanically sound as a warmer weather daily driver type (I'll be getting some body panels eventually if I can get the mechanicals nailed down) Basically, just looking for a community to help me make sure I don't blow anything up or go about this the totally wrong way. Thank you all for your help in encouraging my mid-life personal interest redirect.
November 22, 2021, 12:07:23 PM by BigBirdk20 | Views: 134 | Comments: 8

Hey everybody this is the build thread for my 1976 C10 named Cookie Monster.
The truck is a big 10 optioned truck with a small block, turbo 350 and a 12 Bolt with a locker.
My plans are to just make it a good cruiser with a nice lowered stance and good driveability. I am gonna keep the small block it has for now until I either blow it up or have enough money to put something with more power in it.
So now onto how things have been going, when I bought the truck the previous owner told me that "it just needed to be timed". That turned out to be a lie and this build has quickly snowballed from iam gonna get it running and have a running and driving project to iam tearing it down to the frame and going to rebuild the underside and go from there.
The truck has way more rot that it appeared to have when I went to check it out. Both foot wells, rocker panels, driver side cab corner, parts of both fenders and a section of the bed all need replacing. The truck had about 50 lbs of random wires spliced into the factory harness with some of them starting at the positive battery terminal and then terminating with open ends all throughout the factory wiring harness loom. Needless to say the truck was about one crank away from burning to the ground.
I started the tear down process the day after I got it home and it progressed pretty fast once I saw all the rot and made the decision to completely tear it down like I mentioned earlier.
I will attach as many pictures as I can and do my best to update this as often as possible. If anyone cares to see more frequent updates I have an Instagram page for the truck @cookie_monster_c10
Thanks for checking out the thread everybody,I hope you all enjoy it and please give me any feedback, tips, tricks or whatever else. It's all welcomed and appreciated. Thank you
November 22, 2021, 12:41:06 AM by alopez2045@yahoo.com | Views: 160 | Comments: 4

I have a 3+3 c-20, on my speedometer face the speed of 55 is orange, where as the rest of the numbers are white. Does any one know why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krigermoose
November 19, 2021, 01:55:06 PM by krigermoose
Views: 416 | Comments: 15

Hey everyone, I made the very dumb mistake of not checking my oil. As a result, the truck burned almost all of it and it threw a rod. So here I am, a college student with an extremely tight budget and a broken truck asking what my best option is.

Before it threw the rod, the piston was loosened and hitting the head. Then, the next day when I tried to start it to drive onto a trailer, it came off completely and seized. Because of all of that, I don't know if it's even worth trying to reuse the block or even the heads. I could send it into a machine shop, but if a used engine is cheaper I'd rather just go that route. I'm on Facebook and Craigslist every day looking for good options, so far haven't found something I'm 100% happy with. What any advice on what route to go? How often do people just run it without any machine work? This engine is a crate 350 with very low miles, but it is also old. It was put in the truck at least 20 years ago and then it was driven very little.
November 18, 2021, 01:27:32 PM by juancano | Views: 214 | Comments: 5

Hi; bought the LVP Color Bond from to change these maroon door panels into Saddle Tan. So far so good, it looks really good.

I tested some areas that will be hidden by some of the inserts, and the paint scratches off easily. I cleaned the panels 3 times with alcohol and thinner, and then blew the dust off before applying.

Can I put a coat of some clear coat to protect it even more?

Has anyone used these paints on door panel, elbow rest and straps?

Thanks
Pages: [1]

* Recent Posts

Re: 1987 Silverado V10 from the frozen north by JohnnyPopper
[November 26, 2021, 08:49:56 PM]

Re: 1987 Silverado V10 from the frozen north by nbarr7
[November 26, 2021, 07:39:00 PM]

Re: project onion rings by chevn-up
[November 26, 2021, 03:47:14 PM]

Re: 81 K10 Build by bd
[November 26, 2021, 12:42:03 AM]

Re: Fuel pressure for LS: by Stewart G Griffin