73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Engine/Drivetrain

TELLING TRANNIES APART

(1/3) > >>

79BONANZA:
Hey guys,  lot's of really great information here and I'm eventually going to make the switch from whatever I have in my truck to a 700r4, but how do I tell them apart from looking at them.  My truck is a 1979 Chevy Bonanza 4wd Automatic.  Just dropped a rebuilt, 30 over, 350 4-bolt main in it with headers, a edelbrock performer intake, and a edelbrock 600 carb, 2.5inch pipe with flowmasters.  Want to shop around for a 700r4 to rebuild and put in my truck mainly for the overdrive.  What are the visual differences in these chevy transmissions???  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

oscarone:
Crawl under your truck and take a look at the pan.  The TH350 looks like a square with one corner cut off and the modulator is on the back of the case.  The TH700R4 is basically square with 16 bolts, it has no modulator as I believe it is electronically controlled (keep that in mind if you plan a swap).  The TH400 has two straight sides, the modulator is on the side of the case.  Also, when you swap trannys remember t-cases were mounted differently...output shafts may be different...drive shaft lengths may change...

79BONANZA:
Thanks for the info, as soon as I get my truck back I'll take a look at it.  Its getting new rocker panels.

RSBAD454:
why are you going with a 700R4? my friend has one in his 72 2WD and it had no impact on gas mileage. he said it got the same in D or Over Drive. watchout what year 700 you get cause the earlier ones were very weak compared to newer versions. id go for the 4L60E if you can find one.

Snuke87chevy:
I have a 700r4 in my 87 and I think that it has lots of power in it.  It's first gear is lower than the TH350 or TH400.  However, if I could pick, I'd put the SM465 4-speed manual in mine.  I have one, it's just a matter of finding enough time to swap them out.  Putting in a manual takes a little more work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version