Author Topic: Spare Tire Compartment  (Read 3135 times)

Offline BlackTomC

• Registered Users
Spare Tire Compartment
« on: September 20, 2015, 09:22:07 PM »
Hey folks, so I've completely gutted my burb, started on redoing my entire interior a few weeks ago.

Question, I've managed to fix all the rust, ground out all the old seam sealer, ground off all the old paint, sealed everything up.. everything is basically sealed back up and primed, the deal is I've got this spare time well that is rusted out. Seeing how I've already taken it out, I need to deal with this before final paint. Anyone have any clever ideas as to what I could do with this with very very basic fabrication skills? I'm running 35's that won't fit in it so I was thinking of maybe getting a few design ideas from you guys on other clever stuff.
The bottom line has dropped

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Spare Tire Compartment
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 10:34:57 PM »
Are you wanting to eliminate it or?  If it is a 4x4 you could make it a tool area and just weld flat steel to box the rusted area.

Offline BlackTomC

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 09:42:08 AM »
I'd like to use the existing space. Considering the rear carpet I just purchased for the deal doesn't cover that area, I thought it would be neat to have a little tool box or storage compartment, just more squared off.

It's definitely a 4x4

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 02:06:37 PM »
You could buy an old tool box and sink it in there if you find a good size.

Offline Dr_Snooz

• "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff"
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 09:21:56 PM »
How about putting a simple hinged lid to cover it? Make the lid flush with the floor so you increase your flat cargo area. Then put your emergency kit inside. Or your bug-out kit.

You could also use it to hide your amp, CD changer, etc.

I'd advise against using the area for a spare gas can. That will really stink up the cabin.
1989 Chevy Suburban V-2500, 5.7L, TH400

1990 Chevy C-3500 Ext. Cab, 7.4L, 3L80

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT 4WD, 4.8L, 4L60

Offline BlackTomC

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 06:47:41 PM »
That's what it used to have, a wooden hinged cover, with tons of screws screwed in all over the place to hold it together. Since I began fixing up the back interior body work, I welded all the holes shut, grinded & primed over them. I'd like to steer clear of using any more self-tappers if possible.