Author Topic: Winch bumper?  (Read 5978 times)

Offline k10caddy

Winch bumper?
« on: January 22, 2005, 08:45:00 AM »
I just managed to buy myself a winch a (12,000Lb ramsey) and now I'm at the problem of exactly how/where to mount it. anyone know of any companies that sell a reasonably-priced winch bumper that will fit an '85 k10?

if not I'll make one but buying one would be a -_- lot easier. thanks.

Offline Redneckchevy

• Photo Bucket
Re: Winch bumper?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 10:17:00 PM »
Well u can get one frome Summit auto racing advanced auto parts...But hay if u got the stuff to build one ....id build it ...The ones u buy are not for a real off roader ..One hit and thare done.....And ware to mount it ....The front ...cause ur just gonna use it to get unstuck and some one eles unstuck ...cause u dont wanna pull some one down the road with it .:rollin    

1986 Chevrolet K10 Swb "Women love the hood scoop"
1997 Chevrolet K10 Lwb "Dunno what women love"

Offline 79 4x4

Re: Winch bumper?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 09:18:00 PM »
I thought about making one for my 79.
why dont you want to pull someone down the road with it? I pulled a bronco that was twice as high as me 20 miles. I told him sence he was back there to go ahead and read my tailgate.:D  

Offline k10caddy

pulling
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 03:00:00 AM »
this has to be strong enough to withstand about 3x the weight of the truck so it looks like I'll be making one. 1/4" or less is just NOT thick enough to withstand 6 to 12 tons, without bending. 1/2" will. I was hoping to find a company that makes a reasonable priced bumper so that I wouldn't have to make one. but nobody does. I'll bend the frame before these bumpers'll bend. sumbeach somewhere.  

Offline TRUCK6DRIVER

Re: pulling
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 08:55:00 PM »
Warn makes a nice extended bumper. Comes in black or chrome. You can add a brush guard later if you want.

Offline k10caddy

pictures?
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 12:34:00 AM »
thanks
do you know of any pictures of 'em?
I've tried warn's site in the past but no pictures of an 81-87 style chevy with any of their bumpers... and no specs on the steel used.I'm not going to buy one just on blind faith that it'll look good and be strong enough.

Offline bld155

re
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 02:17:00 PM »
i saw a cool setup over at austink5, this one guy may a mount behind the stock bumper to put his whinch behind it, then he modified the stock front bumper and put these rollers behind the licences plate, so it was hidden,

all he had to do was lift his licence plate up and he had access to his ramnsey whinch.

this was on a 73-80 body style