Author Topic: Resurrecting an old beast 1986 GMC Wrangler  (Read 13683 times)

Offline Gooderum

Resurrecting an old beast 1986 GMC Wrangler
« on: September 14, 2013, 08:34:13 PM »
Hello everyone this is my first post on this forum and will not be the last. I skipped introductions because I want to share this with everyone.

I bought this truck when I was 16 years old and did everything to it. It is a 1986 GMC Wrangler I am the Second owner of this truck I bought off an old Italian man who was a family friend. The day I bought the truck it was appraised at $15,500 here is a picture of the truck after I lowered it it came with the grill. previous owner made it.

She is all original paint and original motor and transmission, here are pictures from the day I bought it. This paint scheme was only on 3500 of these trucks I was told by a GM worker who actually help build it.

Original 350 nothing has been done to the motor. Bought it with 143,000km

Stock interior from factory with the complete Wrangler Interior Package (Brush aluminum inserts on the doors and dash and bezel, leather strap on door, with chrome clips and handles also with the fabric)
The Racing seat were taken out original bench was put back in.

This truck has never seen winter it was stored every year since the day he bought it, he hauled wood during the summer and then stored it.

I did alot of extra work to this truck which I will put into details in my next post.

Thanks for reading!:)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Resurrecting an old beast 1986 GMC Wrangler
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 10:59:14 PM »
cant see the pictures for some reason, but sound like a nice truck and for it to have 143k kms and still be worth 15k i want to see it
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Gooderum

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 12:16:20 AM »
I can see them.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 12:29:35 AM »
its my firewall. lol
Your request was denied because of its content categorization: "Social Networking;Content Servers"

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 10:33:59 AM »
     Nice looking truck, welcome to the site from California.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Gooderum

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 10:55:22 AM »
     Nice looking truck, welcome to the site from California.
Thank you very much alot more to come.

Offline Gooderum

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 08:09:29 AM »
This huge update is a two week span to current took 2 weeks to get this far.
I'll start by giving you a history lesson but from tow truck too current took 2 weeks

I bought many things for this truck I started with a full Beltec static suspension which dropped my truck 4" all the way around I did Drop Spindles, Drop Shocks, Shackles, Coil Springs. It made the truck sit proper.

Then I started with the engine bay I used about 10L of Spray nine to get all the oil spray out of the engine bay which worked great their was just alot of it.

I bought the edlebrock Chrome Engine Dress up kit. Came with the Valve Covers, Breather and Oil Filter, also got the Chrome Oil Dip Stick, I bought Blue Vacuum lines, Breaded hose kits, I painted the front of the block black and did some blue paint in the front as well. I did a full Exhaust on the truck with Headmen headers going into Flowmaster series 40 out the back sides.

I forgot about the custom made fan Shroud that I bought from a buddy.

I will post more about what I did to this truck going more into the Audio portion of the build!!

Thanks for Reading

After I completed the engine to my standards I wanted a little extra audio. But I ended up going bigger then expected :S.

It all started by putting in a new deck and new Kenwood 3" Speakers in the dash but I blew those quick.

Deck: JVC KDR900

(I never had a picture of it)

So after the deck went in I wanted to have more Boom Boom So I installed four 6" Subwoofers behind my seat along with two 8" Mids with two tweeters. (Tight Squezze)

Here are pictures of the build. Made with Russian Birch Plywood!

Also forgot about my Clarion 4 channel amp which did wonders for awhile.

Here is a picture right before I started to add more. I also Switched out the 6" woofers with four more that are alot different and more powerful.

Thats all for now next post will be about my 21" Subwoofer Build....Yes 21" 5000watts!

Some people might think this next thing I'm going to post is ethier stupid or awesome. But I wanted to be different. So I wanted to put Subwoofers in the back of the box of my truck. So we took measurements and designed a sub box to fit betweend the box wall and the wheel well. So here are the pictures of the build. As it kept changing...

(Legacy and a Quantum Audio both 4000 watts and both garbage, They both blew)

Here is a picture of the final product before the port was finished But this changed pretty quick after we put the ports in I wanted to go louder so we added 4 other batteries and another 21" Subwoofer.

I rather not post pictures of the build from going from one sub to two but here is a couple of pictures of finished product!

(This is a picture of the amp I used for my new setup AUTOTEK MX500)

Minus the two subwoofers on top this is what I was going to add to my setup in the back of the box before something happened that would change it all.... :`(

My next post will explain everything that happened and the reason I stopped this build for a year and a half.

Summer of 2011 I was in a car accident on the HWY 401 in Toronto, Canada the car infront of me was cut off, he slammed on his brakes I slammed on mine. I started to vear and spin through all 4 lanes of the 401 going 120kmh and was hit on the back passenger side of my box the Jeep Liberty was instantly written off and he managed to bend and twist my frame and snapped my transmission bracket and the box was destroyed the floor buckled in the middle here is some pictures of the aftermath (After I took it out of storage a year and a half later.

I would of kept it on hold until I got the oppratunity to rent a 2 car garage space for very cheap. So I got the truck flat bedded to the trucks new home.

So here is where the truck sits!

Due to my excitement I quickly went for a timmies run and got to work.

Due to the box buckling in the middle I had to grind the bolts out from underneath and on top. I grabbed the one good trail light and tunnel cover rails and then scrapped the box. Which is sad because it was original paint.

So this is where she stands I have a link to a new rolling chassis will post later

More feedback the better!

Offline Gooderum

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 08:43:32 AM »
I am saying sorry in advanced for the junky pictures! I got the frame last night So here are some pictures of the frame that I have my iphone died so they are junky pictures from my blackberry.

We started to clean the shop to prepare and FINALLY hooked up a stereo so I have some music finally. We put 3" MDF behind the truck so the cab has something to sit on. we stored the Rad Support and Exhaust just need to get from for the cab to come off and the engine to come out.

Thanks for the feed back!

Offline Gooderum

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 08:46:02 AM »
My sponsor just got in my new Cab Mounts and Rad Mounts ;134691]
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=3.4116

These should do the trick!

Well to start I went to bed at 5am and got up at 9am for work...Which sucked ass! Well here is the picture whoring update!! :):)

So I got 5 guys to help and lift off the cab, we disconnected everything so that way everything went smoothly and took pictures of everything.

Here is a picture of the interior door panel. With all the pretty Options :)
(The paint chip is because I didn't paint the panel properly its black but the top was sun bleached so I re sprayed it)

Original bench seat:) I love the condition!!

Here is the rest of the tear down!!

Now that the cab is off its time to get more walking room in the shop and get more scrap weight :) Time for some grinding!!

Thats better :)

Well everyone this is how she sits :) Time to go to bed and watch SOA and come back Wednesday :)

We are going to be shaving the fire wall that will be Wednesday :)
And some other fabrication work!:D

Thanks for reading!

Offline Gooderum

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
Hello everyone I had a slow day yesterday not as much as usual, I took everything off the fire wall to be powder coated and to be re run through a different place. Here are a few pictures

Alot of powder coating is being done I have them my Alt brackets and AC brackets and hardware to be coated. and gave them the housing of my alt. I am getting it all done for free as a sponsorship so I'm extremely happy about that.

Thanks for Reading Everyone.

Quote from: Rockstargraphics;137585
Heres a little update it was a slow Monday due to some things not on my motor anymore.
Well lets get started I started on the harness Just cleaning it all up and taping it all, going to be extending  it soon but for now I just wanted it easy to run.
Here are some before pictures.

I will have after pictures on Wednesday I forgot to take them.

ITS HERE!!!

We got everything hooked up but came to a halt due to getting too tired also I didn't know exactly what to take off and just a shortage of tools due to breaking two ratchets.

Its a small update sorry guys but due to not knowing exactly what to take off I decided to pack it in at 3am  will be back at the grind on Wednesday.

Offline Gooderum

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 02:07:38 PM »
HERE WE GO EVERYONE BIG STEP HAPPENED LAST NIGHT!

First we pulled the motor off the little bit of frame thats left from the original truck :) Its sad but good. We pulled her off nice and smooth and layed it down on two tires for now and un hooked it here are some pictures of the process.

And she is out, here is whats left of the frame.

I rolled the new frame in and took the tarp off and look what fell onto the ground! ICE thats right Ice thats how cold it is up here so everyone knows and I have a non heated garage sept for the little space heater which does work great for what we need. Here are some pictures of the progress!!

[COLOR="Cyan"]ICE!![/COLOR]

And more progress...

This frame was different Fuel and Brake lines ran on the same side... Werid but of well!

Well we disconnected the fuel and power steering lines and cut off the exhaust for scrap.

She lifted nice and easy all we did was lift it all the way up and rolled the frame back outside.

I found out that the motor that came with the new frame was a 305 which is werid but oh well. I am taking what I want off it and sending her to scrap as well.

Now I have to drop the exhaust and start the fabrication on the frame :) :)

Here is where she stands!

Thanks for reading Part 1 and Part 2 of the motor swap. Took us 2 hours to do it all. Rest was cleaning up and getting ready for the new frame to roll in....

CHEERS
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 10:21:03 PM by Captkaos »

Offline Gooderum

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 10:47:43 AM »
Good day everyone!

Well we started stripping the frame as I mentioned here is some update pictures, we took off most of the paint and little surface rust off the whole frame right down to bare metal in most spots I went and bought $3 Primer just to see where we have done and to seal it, Its all going to be sanded off the day paint job and a fresh proper coat of primer but some fabrication has to be done first :) Here are some pictures that everyone loves.

Well this is where she sits for now. alot of progress done just prepping for fab work and paint will be working on Fire wall tonight :):)

SNEAK PEAK!! (junky Picture)

Thanks for reading! More Feedback the better!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 11:27:29 PM »
looks good, but couple questions

1 where the heck are your safety glasses, every one learns sometimes some are lucky and end up with just a rust ring some need surgery and some lose a eye. i got lucky and just had a rust ring, i got a pair of tinted safety glasses that i always have on me or im wearing. then if im in the shop or on a job we have yellow glasses to brighten everything up. i know you dont need anyone preaching to you but just trying to save a eye or two ;-)
2 is your hair purple or do i need to adjust my screen color lol. nothing wrong with it, just asking
or are you santa

Offline Gooderum

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »
looks good, but couple questions

1 where the heck are your safety glasses, every one learns sometimes some are lucky and end up with just a rust ring some need surgery and some lose a eye. i got lucky and just had a rust ring, i got a pair of tinted safety glasses that i always have on me or im wearing. then if im in the shop or on a job we have yellow glasses to brighten everything up. i know you dont need anyone preaching to you but just trying to save a eye or two ;-)
2 is your hair purple or do i need to adjust my screen color lol. nothing wrong with it, just asking
or are you santa

My answers are the following and thank you very much for the feedback!!

1. I do wear safety glasses that are CCA approved. My friends don't because they are the "Tough" guy.
2. LMAO!!! Thats not me I wouldn't dye my hair that colour.

Thanks for loooking more to come!

Offline Gooderum

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 09:55:25 AM »
Another update
But I started to prep and prime the firewall for paint, taped off the truck and everything. My buddy whos a body man came in to help a little. It turned out good but not completed yet! Here are some pictures.

Well that was alot of pictures.... I only primed it to see all he imperfections so I can make it smoother. Fabricator is going to come in and fill in some holes.

Sneak Peak!

Didn't know if you guys would care but here is the Stamping from the Factory I thought you guys would think its pretty cool too see. Shows the amazing condition of the frame!