Author Topic: So it isnt my fuel pump **TROUBLE CODES ADDED 4/19** *VIDEO ADDED 4/16*  (Read 28810 times)

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Timing chain make sense to me
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
The next thing you need to check is your fuel pressure and engine vacuum under load. Is the catalytic converter in tact? Did you pick up a vacuum gauge yet?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
dont call state farm it will cause your insurance to go up not much but just a few dollars will add up.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
Vile - The converter is rusted out, which is one of the items that was getting replaced when i was looking for a shop to do the whole exhaust system overhaul. Nah, ive just decided to take it to a shop. A guy from the job put me on to a shop here locally with nothing but glowing reviews outside of his reference, so, im just gon do that. I'm still gon go pick that stuff up for future purposes though. Ima let yall know what the outcome is.

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
Well folks, she finally made it to the shop. Flatbed picked her up today. Ill let you guys know what the word is soon. Thanks for all the help, info, comments etc. still felt sick watching her drive off..... on the back of a tow truck. :'(

Offline gildardo01

• Frequent Member
a ford fan once said... the only time a chevy should be on the road was when its on a flatbed pick up....i just remember that... fyi i drive a chevy c10... so yeah 

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
Got er back today, im happy, but not as happy as i should be. They changed out the temp sensor, and a bushing? in the distributor. It runs, not like it was, but it runs. Still hesitation in the acceleration. Its just not biting like it should. Im gonna put itin another shop next week now that its running, let them take a look and see what they come up with. I at least know someone there, but the timing seems off to me still.

Just wantedto update yall.

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
Since the last post, i again had the same issue, truck laid back down again with the same symptoms. HOWEVER, im glad to report there is a final resolution to the situation. So earlier this week, truck started acting funky again, like i said, same issue. I talked to a guy at the job who works on cars, and he offered to come by and take a look at it. I ran down what was going on, and since a "bushing" was replaced on the distributor, i told him i felt like the problem lies in that area, whether it needed a full replacement orsomething was just off. I told him i could rotate the dist. by hand and it idle fine, smooth when i crank it up, but try to run it and it is throwed off like its off time or something. So he asked me, its loose enough to rotate it by hand? He told me that that was likely the problem, cause if i could move it without much effort to do THAT, then, its throwing it off when driving cause its going to move on its own. Sure enough, he takes a look, the bolt that holds the dist. in place is loose, so i guess when driving it, it moves and throws the idle/rev off, causing it to run like hot beezo, aka GARBAGE. So we played with the positioning several times and after several test runs up and down the street got it dialed in right, tightened the bolt down and walaa..... no more issue.

I could be a pessimist and be mad i spent all that money on replacing parts, buying tools, paying a shop $200 to fix something that wasnt an issue in the 1st place(i am displeased that they didnt catch it considering they had the dist. out and apparently didnt tighten the bolt back up either) but i didnt know the dist. wasnt supposed to be moved like that, i just didnt know. So i wouldve never knew to look for that 1st. On the upside, i now own a multimeter, new egr valve/new esc module/new map sensor among other things and a huge box of fuses. Problem solved. I wanted to make sure i came back and thanked everyone, reported the end to the situation because in the future, someone HERE or on google search might come across this thread with a similar issue or exact same ordeal and it help them and save THEM money.

PS, i REALLY needed to replace the EGR, the other stuff, i highly doubt it, but oh well. Onto the full exhaust system replacement. =) Vile, Irish, Tx F, Fairlane, Twin T, bd, froto, thank yall for takin time out to help me resolve this. If i missed ya name,thank you as well. dang im happy im back ridin. Finna hit autozone right now for some goodies, yall be easy

Offline gildardo01

• Frequent Member
good to hear you got it fixed... thanks for letting everyone know...

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
Sweet..isn't it crazy how a problem that seems so big boils down to something so simple as a loose nut (sometime referring to people as well). It kind of makes me wonder if that shop really did anything to the distributor at all because it's hard to imagine that it was take off and placed back exactly the way it was before they got it..but what do I know.. Extremely glad to see things looking up for you finally!
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
yeah any shop who touches a distribitor should know its not suposed to move by hand. kind of tells you to keep away from that shop

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
yeah any shop who touches a distribitor should know its not suposed to move by hand. kind of tells you to keep away from that shop

Yeah, they pretty much got me. Idk bout either of the things they say they replaced. A temp sensorhad nothing to do with any of that, but they said they replaced that as well. idk. I just know for 4 days, 5 days, i cant really remember exactly, my truck sat in front of their shop in the same spot til i finally popped up on em, then all of a sudden someone goes out there and moves it around the back. wasnt really happy to say the least. but, shes fine now, running strong, so im happy.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator

Offline 74 C-10 Shorty

• Frequent Member
That's why the only shop I take my stuff to is the one in my back yard.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
yeah i was scared to work on it my self since i never touched a ford engine and there wasnt much room. then dealing with time and how long it would take me to work on it between my full time job side jobs and wife and kid. i couldn't justify trying to work on it. so the shop got it. but lesson learned, now i can justify working on it