Author Topic: So it isnt my fuel pump **TROUBLE CODES ADDED 4/19** *VIDEO ADDED 4/16*  (Read 28579 times)

Offline 74 C-10 Shorty

• Frequent Member
Yes sir, I learned many many moons ago that I am perfectly capable of screwing things up myself, I don't need to pay someone else to do it for me.. lol...

Offline Tazman

Re: So it isnt my fuel pump **TROUBLE CODES ADDED 4/19** *VIDEO ADDED 4/16*
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2016, 05:41:47 PM »
Did you pull the vacuum hose off the EGR and see if it made a difference? Did you spray carb clean at the base of the tbi when it was running?

Vile,how much change should you see when unplugging the EGR when it is running?
Proud of and proud to be a veteran of our military.
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2016, 12:07:47 AM »
The EGR valve, exhaust gas recirculation valve is closed at idle and opens at part throttle cruise conditions to introduce spent exhaust gases into the incoming air fuel mixture to reduce combustion temperatures and lower NOx emissions.

So to answer your question, unplugging it at idle should not do anything.
If you pick up the diaphragm under the EGR valve with a screw driver, with the engine idling, it should make it run rough.
If the EGR solenoid is stuck allowing a vacuum to be applied to it all the time, it would cause a rough idle, possible stalling at idle. Unplugging it would close the valve and make it idle smoother.
Sometimes carbon deposits break loose from the EGR's tract and hang the valve open, if you have a rough idle and can't find a vacuum leak and the IAC can't compensate,remove the valve and check it.
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2016, 08:47:48 AM »
Did you pull the vacuum hose off the EGR and see if it made a difference? Did you spray carb clean at the base of the tbi when it was running?

Vile,how much change should you see when unplugging the EGR when it is running?

This is a simple way to ensure the EGR sol. is not hung open allowing the valve to open. It needs to be closed at idle.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
So it isnt my fuel pump **TROUBLE CODES ADDED 4/19** *VIDEO ADDED 4/16*
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2016, 08:48:25 PM »
Yah, i can relate to 87chevy. Its fun putting on nice new parts, thinking you'll reach the problem eventually. But now i've learned to "fix and repair" and only replace when needed. Hate going to shops, even when you have a good quality one, your gonna pay. Nonetheless, always nice to be up and running again.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:50:41 PM by philo_beddoe »
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2021, 09:21:46 AM »
Man... i pulled back on this from 8 years ago.... Since then, rebuilt the TBI unit, new tank, new pump and that prob solved. New EGR, IAC, MAP... Wow... just looking back at this is crazy.

I'm actually about to go get the truck from GA and bring it up to Philly where I'm at now. Miss yall guys... I'ma be back in here soon, been researching parts for it trying to get it ready for transport here.

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2021, 09:24:28 AM »
And i got a pic guide of me rebuilding the tbi step by step, ill find the photos and post em up. Somebody should get some use out of em.