Author Topic: Rebuilding transmission  (Read 16402 times)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Rebuilding transmission
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2007, 08:23:14 AM »
Why would you need to replace the sprag unless it failed? I've only had one 700R4 sprag fail and it was because it broke along with the case. One should be a one way overrunning roller clutch. One is a sprag. I wouldn't go replacing them unless they are bad.

You may need to during the overhaul purchase different thickness apply plates if you find that the clutch pack clearances are out of specs.

You should buy the servo kit which allows you to convert your servo to the corvette style servo.

You should purchase a master overhaul kit

You will need a new intermediate band

Also buy a valve body improver or shift kit.

You may also want to buy a pump and vane kit along with a new torque converter.

Carefully check the condition of the sunshell near the annulus gear if it looks blue, cracked or shady in any way replace it.

My advice is to find a more experienced builder. Look for an ATRA certified builder.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2007, 08:23:54 AM »
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2007, 01:55:34 PM »

he said that it probably needs to be changed. seeing how it's comin up on 300K mls. im just gonna have to trust him on all the parts inspections. he did say that the sun shell might be on the list of things to replace. I can put the servo on myself right? Even after the trans goes back on the truck? I think he did mention the intermediate band. Is the master rebuild kit from TCI better than the one in the link I showed you? Also, the one I showed you comes with a shift kit. the master overhaul kit looks like it doesnt have as much stuff. Like maybe those are for trannys that are in better shape than mine. [?] yes? no?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2007, 04:52:08 PM »
It doesn't matter if the sprag has a million miles on it. If it's still good it's still good. Nobody in their right mind would order hard parts that are non returnable until the unit is apart and are sure of what needs to be replaced otherwise you are throwing $ down the drain.

The servo has to come out in order to rebuild the transmission so I don't understand why you would want to upgrade it later.

A master overhaul kit should come with frictions, steels, seals, and gaskets. That's it.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2007, 09:10:54 AM »
Okay, been a while but, I decided a while back to just save up for a new tranny. It's lame and costly but it's safe and sound. Almost got enough money saved. Any suggestions which one to get. (700R4)

Offline jays2w87

• Bone stock..... Not for long!
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2007, 08:40:25 PM »
I dont know if you have a Bone yard / used parts joint around you ? I'm asking cause near me (CT) I have a few. I have priced out in the past and had good luck too.
I have seen a 350 or 400 go for a couple hundred. They come with either a 6 month or 12 month, depends on the condition when they inspect it and what it has for miles.
If they had a th400 with 30,000 it would be a few bucks more than the one with 60,000.
Just a thought.....  I save tons of $$ at the place near me !

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2007, 03:17:09 PM »
Yeah, I have looked into a few local shops, but, I'm just paranoid about that. I found a couple at Jegs.com
One is from TCI and the other is from PAR. Any news on either of those companies?

Offline jays2w87

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2007, 08:50:03 PM »
Not sure about PAR
TCI, awesome ! Ihad a 68 Camaro small block engine, about 400 hp and had a TCI 350 tranny . Took an ass whoopin and never failed. Actually sold the car and the tranny kept goin and goin. If I had the cash to buy another Ide have one!

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2007, 03:06:07 PM »
Cool, thanks for the opinion. I hear alot of good things about TCI. They got one on jegs for about $1300 delivered. Should be fun once I get it. The wife just informed me that we were invited to spend turkey day with her family in NJ (woo-hoo). So there goes some of my transmission money. >:( >:( >:( >:(

But, I will get it soon.
Maybe I should post a write up of the removal and install.
What do ya'll think??

Offline jays2w87

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2007, 07:14:35 PM »
The tranny is bullet proof. You could kill it but you would need a ton of power behind it and have to try to break it. Ya, post pictures. Its gunna be so pretty when you get it that your not gunna want to put it in or get it dirty!

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2007, 10:26:26 PM »
what about bowtie overdrives.

Offline jays2w87

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2007, 08:42:45 PM »
not familiar with them...

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2007, 11:35:54 PM »
http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog_inc/viewitem.php?ITEMID=8

check it out. it seems like they dress theirs up a little better, and the price is a little cheaper. usualy that doesn't match up. :-\

Offline jays2w87

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2007, 07:03:59 AM »
They look pretty sweet, I havet really seen too many though. AnotherTCI story = My brother in law has a 93 mustang lx, 5.0 partial tubbed rear, caged and blown pusing about 550 horse. (believe it or not everything in the block is still motorcraft, I cant figure out how its made it this far....) Its not a street car, Track only, It spends a lot of time on his trailer.... But, he runs 9.50's all day long at the track, he has hit 9 flat a few times. He has a TCI tranny right off the shelf. Only mod is a 2300 rpm stall. (and the stall speed / Tork cov. is TCI as well) He BEATS the shoot ot of that thing. Thats what its made for.
The car spends 90% of its driving life, throttle wide open, right to the floor.

So, I guess its all a matter of opinion. BTOD's probably make a great trany, If I had unlimited funds and it was tranny time for me I would go TCI.

Thats not to say if I neeed one and didnt have too much $$ I wouldnt get a rebuild or go use, cause I would.

Offline team39763

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2007, 02:13:10 PM »
You should look into customer service and warranty policy.  Even if you don't have much HP, you could still break the trans.  I haven't dealt with TCI myself, but I've heard that they don't work with you much when it comes to warranty.  When something does go wrong, you want those guys to be there to help you out, not place the blame on you and make you pay for more stuff.  The place I bought my trans from has paid for installations/removals, paid rental car fees, and shipping for his customers(whatever it took to make things right when there was a problem).  He paid for a modification(new gear selector) to my trans since I couldn't just send it back to him at the moment.  That's something to think about when choosing a builder.  The place I bought from shutdown, but there customer service was good until the owner became ill.  A lot of the NBS and F-body guys like FLT for their 4l60e transmission....maybe they could build you a 700R4.  I hope that helps.  Good luck.