Author Topic: 1987 column headlight dimmer test  (Read 5184 times)

Offline Blitzcraig

1987 column headlight dimmer test
« on: February 09, 2012, 08:59:24 PM »
My headlights aren't working. The switch is good. There's no power at the lights. Parking lights, tail lights, turn signals work. Is there a way to test the dimmer on the column without having to take it out? Is it hard to get out?

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: 1987 column headlight dimmer test
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 12:24:30 AM »
     First off welcome to the site. Nice to have you here.
     More information needed, what year is your truck, and what trim level ? 
     Also have you looked in the tech. section on this forum for the wiring diagram for your truck ?  If there is no power at your lights, you need to trace back from your lights (depending on year), there are connectors right at lights that could have broke, also make sure your lights are grounded properly, this is a big problem with these trucks.
     Good luck and keep us informed, I am sure more will chime in with suggestions.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Blitzcraig

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:25:42 AM »
It's a 1987 Custom 20. I've pulled the plugs off the lights and sanded the prongs on the lights to remove any corrosion. I loosened one ground wire but didn't inspect it too closely. I'll try the grounds again. How can I be sure they are getting good ground?

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 08:18:04 PM »
How can I be sure they are getting good ground?

Use a ohm meter, turn on the lights and check at the ground source and the light where ground is, you should have min. ohms, or you can use continuity also the same way.  I think you could use a test light also, but I don't use them that much.

Warning, warning Will Robinson.(in memory of the voice of the robot who died 3 or 4 weeks ago)   I was not specific enough in this post.  Sorry.  You should only use the ohm meter to check ground to ground.  You should use the volt meter portion with the lights on to test the circuit to make sure power is getting to the correct destination.  A test light could also be used instead of a volt meter to check to make sure power is getting to light and ground is a good ground. 
     Sorry again for the clarification error, But at least you know I am human.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 07:50:16 AM by bake74 »
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 08:27:59 AM »
  Warning, warning Will Robinson.[/b

That's funny....  I can picture that robot tracking along, wildly waving his arms....  HA!   ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 08:29:38 AM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)