Author Topic: Need Help, Looking at one small issue lead to many.  (Read 3931 times)

Offline mclark4426

Re: Need Help, Looking at one small issue lead to many.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 01:58:26 PM »
Good afternoon, it’s been awhile since I could get back to this post. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

I have moved the 2 wires from the battery to the starter, of course the 3/8’s stud was stripped so I had to replace the solonoid as well.

I reconnected the original dark and light green wires near the AC pressure switch and cleaned that up. I decided at this point to leave out the fast idle solenoid. It has idled fine in the past without it plus the edelbrock version is a little pricy this close to christmas. Once it gets warm out I’ll take another look at it. I ran a new dark green wire from the pressure switch to the connector on the compressor to remove the extra connectors in between.

I ran a single wire to the oil pressure sender and added a spade connector to connect it to the sender. I looked all over, including the Chevy dealer in town and couldn’t find the original black rubber boot. I haven’t connected the other end of that wire to the bulkhead because i’m still waiting for the Pachard connectors to be delivered (won’t be until 12/15).

I ran a new dark green wire from the bulkhead to the original location for the temp. sensor. I need to pickup a pipe plug tool that will remove a 7/16th pipe plug. It would be too easy to have it 3/8ths. Then I can install it. I left the other temp sensor that came with the electric fan relay where it was with just the gray wire attached.

I corrected the alternator wires as well with the proper gauge and new connector.

Still have a copuple questions, one is for the connector that comes out of the firewall just right of the distrubutor. I think it was to a spark control module? The connector isn’t connected to anything in the engine bay and it appears it connects to a box under the dash. That metal box doesn’t have any wires coming out of it. Can this be removed?

Also I have AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CONVERTER RELEASE VALVE SWITCH near the junction block. It looks like all 3 of those wires goes to the white connector. Is that the correct was to wire this? The tranny is a 700R4 with OD. I do still need to hook up the vacuum as well.

My battery cable that goes to the starter has a smaller wire coming out of the connector at the battery. What is that for?

I have put in a relay for 2 electric fans and a relay for the power windows. Currently the power is coming directly from the battery. Do they have to be there or would they work just as well if I connect them to the junction block?
1985 GMC Sierra K1500
High Sierra
350 / 700R4
Edelbrock Carb w/ electric choke
3.73 gears (for now)

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Need Help, Looking at one small issue lead to many.
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 11:42:21 PM »
Pics #1 & #4 are of the ESC system.  Remove it.

There are several TCC control configurations that apply to trucks.  To decide on the TCC vacuum switch wiring study the TCC wiring diagrams in the 1986 Service Manual to figure out which diagram applies to the original configuration.

The B+ battery cable on your truck is a service replacement part.  The short pigtail can be used for options connecting directly to B+ as long as the pigtail is of sufficient gauge.

I would connect the fan relay load wire directly to the battery through an appropriately sized fusible link or MIDI fuse.  The power window relay can connect to the junction block via an appropriately sized circuit breaker.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)