Author Topic: HEI 5 pin module question  (Read 7204 times)

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
HEI 5 pin module question
« on: January 17, 2014, 10:04:03 PM »
How important is this red plastic connector? When I removed mine it fell apart. If its important can anyone tell me what it is called so I can try and find another.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: HEI 5 pin module question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »
That looks like part of the plug?

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 05:17:37 PM »
It was the connector between the module and the wiring out the back of the dist that goes to the knock sensor and I am sure other things.

I don't think its that important but when it comes to wiring I am off in the deep end

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 06:36:04 PM »
Realistically you should be fine as long as it makes a good connection.

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 07:09:20 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance. I know this is off topic but can I wire straight from alt to volts meter with out going through the oil pressure sending unit

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 09:48:53 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance. I know this is off topic but can I wire straight from alt to volts meter with out going through the oil pressure sending unit

The oil sender has nothing to do with the charging system.  Is the 2-prong oil switch for the electric choke wired into the alternator?  :o

The voltmeter should power from ignition, so it will shut off with the key.  Exactly what are you trying to accomplish?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 11:42:56 PM »
I recently removed smog and a/c from my truck when I put it back together my choke light  is staying on (which is what I was thinking of when I ask the previous question not volt gauge). Also volt gauge is not working. I had forgot to reattach the ground from battery to alt bracket the truck was running when I hooked it up do you think I could have damaged gauge?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 12:10:15 AM »
It's unlikely you damaged the gauge.  It's much more likely you have a blown fuse.  Check both sides of all your fuses using a test light with the ignition switched ON.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 05:29:11 PM »
ok I just pulled the fuse on the choke to make the light go out but nothing else seems to be wrong in the gauges other than the volts but I will check to be certain. 

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 10:40:31 PM »
A little off point here but it was mentioned about the oil sender. I use an oil sender switch on my present engine (I have a mechanical gauge too) and run the ignition wire to the coil through it. This second oil sender switch has a lower pressure cut on and coupled with the high flow oil pump it has caused no reduction in voltage to the coil because it switches off and on pretty fast. Of course a simple on-off oil pressure switch is also available. This ensures I have some oil pressure before the truck starts but more importantly it will shut the engine off if it loses oil pressure.

I wish I had known this trick years ago when I starved my engine once when the pump drive shaft broke traveling on the highway. Once the tappets are heard it's way to late.  :(
I am what I am and I ain't no more!

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 12:42:11 AM »
That's a tough lesson. T think my gauge is hooked through the coil or ignition. I am installing a MSD ignition when I was checking  my wiring I turned the engine over and the oil pressure gauge would jump up and down as engine turns over. I still have not started and run it yet. I am no good at wiring :o

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 11:50:36 AM »
I'm definitely no wiring guru myself. I was trying to install a completely different wiper system from a salvaged truck (one with the delay) and went through the stock bulkhead connector under the dash.  ::)  It's not nearly as easy as it looks. It came out of the donor truck just fine! LOL

As for the pressure gauge jumping during cranking? If nothing else was disturbed when you wee installing the MSD then it sounds like a simple short. I say simple, but you know what that means.... Have somebody else look at it. LOL. It WILL be simple for them.  :o

Sometimes the very best path to take is to simply walk away for a while. If others can look that's good. But approaching the problem with a fresh mindset can go a long way towards figuring out a problem. Especially a wiring problem. However, a nearly exact and perfect wiring diagram of the exact truck in question goes a long way to helping with a problem also. I have a complete wiring book that I was lucky enough to be given from a truck puller friend. It has served me well. But what works on paper clearly, isn't always so clear in a wiring harness. Good luck!  There were a lot of hungover factory workers back in the day....

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 04:26:26 PM »
I will step back for a bit. Its hard when it is always in the back of my mind thanks for the help.

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 10:50:48 AM »
Good luck....electrical stuff can get real frustrating... especially when the entire problem can be nothing more than a poor ground under the dash somewhere...

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 11:06:44 PM »
Thanks to all for the input