Author Topic: '87 5.7L TBI Silverado - Crankcase vent tube issues  (Read 4172 times)

Offline BobAllwine

Re: '87 5.7L TBI Silverado - Crankcase vent tube issues
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 02:23:23 PM »
I had or have the same problem on my 87 5.7, of the pipe broken at the valve cover.  I finally used a few larger pieces of heat shrink tubing and not shrinking it so tight about 3/4" to 1" from the end and was able to slide it into the opening and it has worked for several years now.  I still am keeping my eyes open at wrecking yards for the proper part.  Let me know if you have any luck on the part, since i need one myself.  Thanks and good luck.

Offline All_American_C10s

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 03:52:45 PM »
I had or have the same problem on my 87 5.7, of the pipe broken at the valve cover.  I finally used a few larger pieces of heat shrink tubing and not shrinking it so tight about 3/4" to 1" from the end and was able to slide it into the opening and it has worked for several years now.  I still am keeping my eyes open at wrecking yards for the proper part.  Let me know if you have any luck on the part, since i need one myself.  Thanks and good luck.
Will do!

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Shane Free
'87 5.7L Silverado every day driver
'67 C10 currently in restoration

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 09:00:12 AM »
if you have good relationship with a GM dealer parts man,Part# 14102133 is the number of the tube. There are about 10 dealers in the USA that show to have it still. Have the parts man call one of these dealers and see if they will sell it.
Thanks!  I knew it was discontinued butbI didn't think about inventory still sitting on the shelf out at dealerships somewhere.  I'll do that!

You saved the day on this one, Mike.  A couple of phone calls and $13 later I now have the obsolete OEM part in hand.  Thanks for the advice!

Shane Free

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2020, 09:03:28 AM »
Will do!

Mike's advice was the ticket.  Raymond Chevrolet in Center, TX showed two in their obsolete inventory bin.  I tried to get 'em both so I could send you one but he ended up only having one on the shelf.  Use the part # Mike listed in this thread and see if your local dealership will help you track one down.  Good luck!

Shane Free