Author Topic: neutral safety switch  (Read 5200 times)

Offline UglyDucK

neutral safety switch
« on: December 22, 2011, 05:24:11 AM »
hi guys,
im trying to figure out my NSS issue without much luck....
i am using the steering column out of a 74 winnebego, and the column mounted switch(dash ignition) has a slot in the part that sticks into column, and this fits to a single tab on the steering column gear selector rod/casing thing....

best i can tell is this column uses a NSS from the mid 60's early 70's time frame, but when i go on ebay and start looking for one that looks compatible i find NSS's selling for 150-350 bucks !!

if thats the case i will go without one and strait wire the harness, but after spending 450 bucks on a new 24 circuit wiring harness, i would really like everything to go back together as intended, and i really really want my new LED reverse lights to work properly off the other side of the NSS like was intended

i am pretty smart when it comes to automotive stuff, but in reality i know just enough to cost myself a lot of extra money, or be dangerous, lol

i assume that there wasnt 20 different part numbers on these....if i find one with the right "interface" for the column, it should work right ???

thanks for any help and/or suggestions

Bruce

Offline Donut

• Frequent Member
Re: neutral safety switch
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 07:23:04 AM »
Have you tried a NSS for something else?  I don't know anything about RV's, but in my mind, doesn't seem to be any reason for Winnebago to use one different than GM put on these trucks.  Take it with you to the parts house and compare.  Maybe a pic would help.

FWIW, the NSS for my '73 was about 15.00.
'73 Chevy K-20 ***SOLD***
350/tbh350/np205
My plow was half price if i took the truck with it.

'86 C-30 dually, 454/tbh400

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 08:32:36 AM »
Have you tried a NSS for something else?  I don't know anything about RV's, but in my mind, doesn't seem to be any reason for Winnebago to use one different than GM put on these trucks.  Take it with you to the parts house and compare.  Maybe a pic would help.

I would really try this before forking $150.00 out.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Jason S

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 08:48:29 PM »
Could you post a photo of the column and the NS switch?  Are there any numbers printed on the switch?

FYI: In addition to many other parts on the Chevy G-van, the 70's G-van column was nearly identical to later models of the previous body style Chevy truck column (i.e., 1972 and back).  You may be able to find a compatible aftermarket switch from a 1974 Chevy van or possibly a 1974 Chevy P-series (panel truck or bread truck), presuming it is a GM column.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"