Author Topic: Hello all.  (Read 35403 times)

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
Re: Hello all.
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2020, 09:14:45 PM »

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2020, 10:51:21 PM »
Gorgeous.

When I grow-up, Jeremy, I wanna' be you.
I spent most of my money on Jack Daniel's, Copenhagen, pocket knives, and 4X4 trucks.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2020, 09:41:00 AM »
Looks great brother!
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
Hello all.
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2020, 10:04:47 PM »
Group Survey:
How many horsepowers is this pile worth?:

I’m thinking AT LEAST 75. Depending on tasteful placement obviously.

Ain’t NONE of them going on my truck. There just isn’t any contingency money for 6500# vehicles.

But cool stickers definitely soup up toolboxes.

Be safe. Stay healthy.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 03:52:53 PM by jeremy.farlow »

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2020, 02:58:52 PM »
Moderators?
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2020, 12:13:40 PM »
Back to less offensive posts... :
Factory valve covers getting restored:

Once the paint cures I’ll sand down and polish the ribs.

These are the first alternate to the factory items. Unfortunately they require the brake booster to move to install, but they’re WAY cool:

Same VHT wrinkle paint. For some reason it wrinkled way more on one than the other. Same plan on these, sand the raised fins, once cured.

Jeremy

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2020, 05:10:44 PM »

Decisions, decisions...:

Currently the factory valve covers are getting the nod. I’m certain they’ll seal better and the clear the brake booster.
M/T covers will require loosening the booster at the very least.

Got my Tonawanda stickers for the factory pair:

I made up my spark plug and coil wires today. Staying with an upgraded, factory style coil... blue fire or some such. That’s an easy enough change to make down the road... if ever it needs it?!?

MSD CDI box came in today as well. Initially I had thought I should mount ALL the computery stuff under the dash... but I’m starting to think maybe only the Dakota Digital controller will. I keep staring at the passenger inner fender, right where the coolant overflow currently sits and thinking I bet those three computery things would fit GREAT right there.

Computery things, as it stands are the Edelbrock ECU, F.A.S.T. TCU and MSD CDI box. All are potted and sealed and advertised as weatherproof and heat resistant. Theoretically all should be be safe enough mounted in the engine compartment. But, theoretically all will be safer buried under the dash and should all be set and forget, in the case of the MSD, or accessed by a Bluetooth remotely, a la Edelbrock... or via easily hidden com link with the FAST.

Decisions, decisions...

I’ve gotten the front drive mostly figured. There’s still some fabrication to secure the tensioner and alternator back to the intake.

And lastly wiring everything up and figuring out what I can eliminate from the engine wiring harness. The factory harness that is.

I have to drop the tank...

I’ll probably wind up doing a new sending unit while I’m in there. Dakota recommends running new wires... may as well start with an “in-spec” sender. Maybe I’ll upgrade the fuel pump as well.

Tidy up exhaust, finish wiring, redo fuel lines, all fluids, this thing SHOULD run in mid July.

Jeremy

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2020, 09:49:05 PM »
Very nice! Look forward to the finish pictures.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2020, 09:27:45 AM »
Sticking with the R4 compressor, eh?

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2020, 09:43:18 AM »
Right now I just need SOMETHING. I do like the idea of sticking to factory stuff wherever possible... makes runs to NAPA easier.

I’m open to suggestions.

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2020, 12:23:52 PM »
Since the early days of Air, GM used oversized compressors, like my 6 cyl Frigidaire, which literally will 'freeze' me out of my K10.

I realize I can down size to a more efficient unit and save on fuel, just haven't done so.

You have a lot of volume to cool, so I would run it to see if it's sufficient.

1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
Hello all.
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2020, 01:21:21 PM »
My thoughts exactly. GM seemed to really overdrive A/C compressors and power-steering pumps. With *hopefully* around 500 crank horses I can’t see either “bogging” this engine down.
Doubtful I’ll be able to get anyone to refill the A/C system with R12... but I’m really not certain of the legalities with that stuff anymore. I know there was a time during the late ‘90s/early ‘00s when dad was hoarding R12 for his older project cars. I believe it’s been relaxed a bit these days... but in any case, I’m not qualified to fill or service air conditioning, so the plan once the beast is running to take it to an alignment shop and A/C shop and let them handle it.

Hopefully I’m not setting myself up for failure, but I mounted the ECU, TCU and CDI box under the dash today. The CDI is the only thing likely to introduce “noise”... that it’s isn’t enough to interfere with the ECU or TCU.

Mounting panel:

Computery things mounted:

The Edelbrock ECU comes rubber mounted. I’ve got the other two boxes held by a flange-screw with a rubber washer on each side of the housing. The panel itself is also rubber mounted.

In place... for what it’s worth, I’m fully aware it’s difficult to know what you’re looking at:

I should be able to access the relay and fuse through the glove-box door... anything more will require the dash-pad and climate ductwork to move.

Ductwork and dash-pad will go in right before the front seats and AFTER everything tests out. Wish me luck.

If I didn’t intend this to be a driver I’d really prefer the LOOK of a carbureted engine... I’m trying my best to keep things sanitary, but it’s definitely one of those 20 gallons of sh*t in a 10 gallon hat affairs...:

I’m not sure WHAT to do about those two MONSTER multi-connectors. The Edelbrock splits into two separate harnesses and those are the connectors. At this point I’m thinking a plate off the valve cover to hold the connectors and spark plug wires on passenger side and a match to just hold plug wires on the drivers.

I’ve been putting off doing the wiring as it appeared DAUNTING at first, but it’s gotta get done... no time like the present. The Edelbrock is super-simple. Literally stands alone. Mount the computer, plug everything in... nothing shares a connector. After that it’s just 12v power from the battery and a switched 12v. They even sent a handful of zip ties because they didn’t know who they were dealing with. I have a zip tie DRAWER

Just that and theoretically the Edelbrock runs. The only “expansion” they offer are three trigger outputs: Fan 1, Fan 2, and tach.

F.A.S.T./TCI TCU is a little more tricky... for a couple reasons...
First, for those who don’t remember, I’m doing Dakota digital gauges, so I need to get: vehicle speed signal from the TCU. Additionally the TCU needs RPM input as well as throttle position. TCI is proud of sending the kit with a GM-style weather proof connector to the factory TPS.

I’m thinking I’ll make sure I’ve got earbuds tomorrow and plan on calling Dakota Digital, Edelbrock and F.A.S.T. and get a bit more clarity.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:01:36 PM by jeremy.farlow »

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2020, 05:16:47 PM »
Still running the R4 myself, though it's a noisy so-and-so, and it still works.  If/when it calls it quits though, I'll go the Vintage Air Sanden conversion. 

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2020, 05:50:38 PM »
I’m hoping my starting point is good enough to not even consider going the vintage air route. The rear A/C unit scares me a bit and I never have had the A/C working in this truck. Heat worked, but the vacuum line to the climate control controls was leaking enough it was difficult to say if the bi-level aspects work. Visually the hose to the rear looks good... the blower worked. But I don’t recall any pressurized contents leaving when I cracked the A/C lines.

In EPA speak, I carefully evacuated the A/C system, under vacuum and catalogued the contents for proper, licensed disposal.

Wink, wink. Nod, nod.

But I figure I can verify heat works and that the ductwork is tight enough before putting stuff back together. As I’ve said, I plan to let licensed professionals actually make the a/c work.

I have to get the truck running... then driving... and I’ll worry with A/C at that point.

Right now I’m thinking my goal for this week is to get wiring done. I ordered an electric water pump today. I’m gonna make a more detailed post elsewhere, but I’m thinking run the thing “total loss” at first. I’m certain I can get that done this week. I’ll just leave the battery tender hooked up and leave the accessories off. I can test all of my circuitry that way... verify everything is working right before moving forward.

Depending on when the water pump makes it here maybe I can have the thing started early next week. Provided it doesn’t knock immediately... or wipe out a cam lobe shortly after, I can break in the cam and dump the oil and water, clear up the front of the engine to reinstall the accessory drive.

To that end, here’s what things looked like leaving the shop today:

After the core support was in I just HAD to throw the grill inserts in to have a look:

It’s starting to look like something.

Be safe and stay healthy.

Jeremy

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2020, 10:17:24 AM »
Exhaust flex couplers came in yesterday.

Hopefully these will help keep some of the torque out of the exhaust and keep the collector-back portions from cracking. I’m gonna get a couple hangers on the exhaust now that it’s in it’s final shape/length.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy