Author Topic: A market for selling refurb'ed beds for 72-87's???  (Read 8338 times)

Offline jmacintosh

A market for selling refurb'ed beds for 72-87's???
« on: November 29, 2005, 01:08:00 PM »
I have an idea on a business rebuilding or possibly creating new beds for 72-87 chevy short or long beds.

Do you guys think there is a market for this? It would be so easy to open a shop online and take orders.

Results (total votes = 20):
Yes 17 / 85.0%  
No 3 / 15.0%  

Offline DnStClr

Re: A market for selling refurb'ed beds for 72-87's???
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 12:35:00 AM »
Shipping the beds may cause more headaches for you than refurbishing them.Seems like every time I see a bed for sale on ebay, they say "Local pick up only", or something similar.
Good luck with your idea, tho.

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

ccb

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 02:39:00 PM »
Yea, Its all about cost I think everyone is looking to spend 200.00 to 400 bucks but shipping is the down fall. Now If you were to sell them in section you might have a deal. Sell just what people need. So if you could keep the cost down for the hole deal you would have a winner.

Craig  

Offline bigblock73

• Yeller
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 12:38:00 PM »
I voted NO.  

I just don't see a market full of people needing complete bed assemblies for these trucks.  For one, they are still fairly new and haven't cought on like the 67-72's have...and with these truck basically being the same till 87 (91), there are still plenty on the roads, in junkyards, and getting parted out.  ON top of that, because they bolt together, anyone can replace the piece they need fairy easy and cheaper than buying a whole new bed assembly.

Don't take my comments the wrong way, I do like your idea...but if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't pursue this at the moment.  Just my opinion

BTW - the year break is 73-87, not 72.   :)    

...Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

Edited by: bigblock73 at: 12/1/05 12:39 pm
Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

Offline flyboy9994

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 08:12:00 PM »
O.K. I must disagree with bigblock and say YES.

I have owned a 76 and a 77 in which the beds were completely rusted out and not in any way repairable. In both cases, I was in need of a whole bed and it was very difficult to find one in decent condition. My experience is that they are getting harder to find and a ordering all new parts to assemble a bed costs a fortune for sure!! I would definitely be intertested in a refurbed bed if the price was within reason but I must agree that shipping will be the biggest obstacle. I was actually considering a drive from Kentucky to Iowa so I could purchase a bed from Rust Free Parts (rustfreeparts.com) Fortunately, my neighbor knows a friend of a friend etc and I was able to find a whole rust-free bed for $200 but I have to drive 200 miles to get it. Am I going to drive and get it?? You betcha!!

FWIW... I could definitely see a market for refurbed beds and it's obvious the 73-87 is only going to increase in popularity over the next decade or longer!!

Randy in Kentucky

1977 Cheyenne LWB

Offline bigblock73

• Yeller
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 12:23:00 PM »
Keep in mind guys, this question was posed as a business adventure.  In order to make it profitable, there has to be a HIGH demand for these beds...not just a few people here and there who say they want one.  My guess is that it will be fairly expensive to get this off the ground, meaning the prices for the bed will have to be on the somewhat high side (I would guess $800-1000 bare min).

A good indicator to see if it is even worth the time would be to see how the market has been doing for re-pop 67-72 beds.  These trucks are still more popular than ours...and they are older, making a good bed even harder to find than ours.

I am talking NEW beds, not refurbished.  Refurbished beds will still be spendy, but not nearly as much as new ones.  Besides, would the price of a refurbished bed be cheaper (with shipping) for the average Joe when compared to what his local body shop would charge to refurbish the one he already has?  After all, these beds do just bolt together/apart aside from two small spot welds.

I compare this to the ever so popular, but yet to be done by anybody, one piece windows.  The demand is there waaay more than new beds, but the price and finding someone to stick their neck on the line in making these has yet to happen.

Chris, where you at? :rollin :lol

...Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

Edited by: bigblock73 at: 12/5/05 1:14 pm
Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 02:36:00 PM »
There is/was a company that currently sells new beds, they are roughly $1200 and they will cost $500 min to ship.  I have tried to sell complete used beds for $400 for short bed and no one has wanted them, of course pickup was required due to size or the cost would be almost $1000.

On top of the fact that the pieces unbolt, the market is going to be fairly small.  PLUS, I stopped selling bedsides for trucks because there is no way you can ship something that is over 5' x 3' and it not get some small dents in it.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline jmacintosh

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 02:00:00 PM »
I thank you guys for the input. I agree, shipping would be a pain.

I wasn't aware that these beds were completely bolt on except for two spot welds. Would you care to divulge where these spot welds are?

Thanks

Offline flyboy9994

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 04:24:00 PM »
I priced a brand new assembled long bed for my 77 at a local supplier and it was $1800>: . C'Mon man I'm not quite that desperate but close!!

Again, for what you are offering you might not have customers lined up around the block but I believe the demand will be there soon. See what our brothers in the 67/72's are doing.

I believe the only spot welds are where the rear stake pockets meet the bed floor and they are easily seperated with a little "back and forth"...

FWIW, I would definitely consider paying $1000 for a brand new bed dropped off in my front yard!!

Randy in Kentucky

1977 Cheyenne LWB

Offline bigblock73

• Yeller
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 12:49:00 PM »
Quote:
I wasn't aware that these beds were completely bolt on except for two spot welds. Would you care to divulge where these spot welds are

Here is an article I have in the garage section on my site, it should help you should you decide to move on with your ideas.

www.73-87.com/7387garage/...ebuild.htm

Like flyboy said, the two spot welds are in back...and are easily "broken" or grindable.

...Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

Edited by: bigblock73 at: 12/9/05 12:51 pm
Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

Offline flyboy9994

Hey BigBlock
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 07:52:00 PM »
O.K. I'm a super newbie here but I think I figured out that "BigBlock73" also hosts 73-87.com??

Outstanding website for sure and I really enjoyed the article about assembling a bed from scratch.

Can you please tell me where you bought your parts?? I need a whole bed and if I buy all my parts from   and have them shipped here to KY, it will cost approx $1500. Jeeezzz.... That hurts for sure but a "man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!!...

Also, how about it Roundedline... any input?? This forum is great and I would like to support it by purchasing any parts from you that are available. I have bodywork and painting experience so if they show up with a few "dings" than so be it.

Please advise.

Randy in KY

Randy in Kentucky

1977 Cheyenne LWB

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: Hey BigBlock
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 09:15:00 AM »
Yes, Jeff (bigblock73) owns 73-87.com

The article he linked to was one from a magazine.  His truck was already together and he is just doing a ground up on it.

As for a bed, I personally would find one from a donor, it would be cheaper and the fit would be a lot better.  I supply everything that Goodmark does, so if they have it, I can get it.  The don't however supply SWB bedsides anymore.  Typically I can pick up a 73-87 bed for around $200-500, depending on the quality.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Re: Hey BigBlock
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 01:35:00 PM »
Not to be facetious or condescending here, but there is a much, much, larger market  (translation big$$$)  for completely refurbished complete 73-87 trucks.

People can, will, and do pay top dollar for a good running 73-87 that needs no work.  Not everyone has the time, inclination, knowledge, ability or interest in fixing trucks.  Thus, they're willing to pay.

Why don't you consider that?

I myself may have lucked into one of these deals myself (truck needed minor repair, see my other posts) and i'm an idiot when it comes to cars.

Edited by: Stewart G Griffin at: 8/22/06 12:37 pm

Offline bicent truck

bed welds
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 10:27:00 AM »
i just got finished taking my bed apart on 76 c10 fleetside. Unlike flyboy, I was unable to coax mine off. I needed a sawsall and grinder to release some serious welds where rear of bedsides meet the cross sill. I'm looking for a bed or at least bedsides for mine but it is very hard to find here in NJ without major rust through. After reading what flyboy said about rustfreeparts.com, there is obviouslyh a market for these, they want over $1,000 for bed w/o shipping

Edited by: bicent truck at: 10/22/06 9:41 am