Author Topic: Easiest tbi conversion kit  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Jakethesnake73

• Registered Users
Easiest tbi conversion kit
« on: November 02, 2015, 01:03:53 PM »
Planning on switching my 73 over to hei and tbi. Ill get a new intake and headers when i do this. What conversion kit is overall the best. Im not planning on 500 hp or anything like that. Ill get headers and an intake. And some point later on a cam and heads. But nothing over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Re: Easiest tbi conversion kit
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 01:47:17 PM »
Google Howell Engine Developments. They make all kinda of factory type TBI, MPFI and other fuel injection setups. And compared too all the aftermarket kits out there (holley, edelbrock, fast efi). I have an 89 TBI system with ac, trans torque converter lock up, and no timing control distributor and the system has operated flawlessly since I put it on over 6 months ago. I love it. I do recommend if you get one to include the timing control distributor portion of the system, I didn't but I'm considering adding it on.

You said your going to get an HEI distributor any, the TBI disti's are HEI, they just have a coil that is seperate from the disti cap.

Call them, tell them what your doing, they can build you a pretty nice setup. My truck has over 360hp, 400+ ft lbs trq and the TBI system handles it great.

Howell, (810)-765-5100.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Jakethesnake73

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 02:49:23 PM »

Google Howell Engine Developments. They make all kinda of factory type TBI, MPFI and other fuel injection setups. And compared too all the aftermarket kits out there (holley, edelbrock, fast efi). I have an 89 TBI system with ac, trans torque converter lock up, and no timing control distributor and the system has operated flawlessly since I put it on over 6 months ago. I love it. I do recommend if you get one to include the timing control distributor portion of the system, I didn't but I'm considering adding it on.

You said your going to get an HEI distributor any, the TBI disti's are HEI, they just have a coil that is seperate from the disti cap.

Call them, tell them what your doing, they can build you a pretty nice setup. My truck has over 360hp, 400+ ft lbs trq and the TBI system handles it great.

Howell, (810)-765-5100.
its gonna be a while before i do it because of money. I will defiantly call them when i go to buy one. Does the kit come with a distributor? I just have the point system right now and though it would need upgraded to hei before j get a tbi setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 03:35:35 PM »
Well they have basic kits but calling them is better because they can figure out exactly what you could get that will be good for you. Some of there systems, like mine for example, normally use a timing control distributor, meaning you have knock sensors that work with the distributor to adjust timing. I ordered the kit without the timing control part, so it's a fuel delivery control system with torque converter lock up for fuel economy. I do wish now tho that I had included the timing control portion of the kit. I'm not sure if the kit includes a distributor if you get it with timing control but if not I think they might have distributors to buy and you should be able to get one at any dealer or autoparts store, I recommend the dealer tho for the quality of the product and quality is a necessity for that parts function. The main difference between a standard HEI distributor and one with timing control is that a standard HEI has a vacuum diaphragm and a cap mounted ignition coil. A timing control distributor has a few more electrical plugs instead of a diaphragm and the coil is mounted on a bracket on the intake instead of on the top of the cap.

If a dealer distributor costs to much, you can go on ebay or amazon for a cheaper unit, I just recommend using on that is AC Delco.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 03:38:05 PM by LTZ C20 »
LTZ Cheyenne C20