Author Topic: Hello all.  (Read 35378 times)

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
Re: Hello all.
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2020, 09:32:37 PM »
Thanks

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2020, 10:31:50 PM »
Too funny. I remember trying to avoid parking for a Braves game at a public park up Georgia Ave. from Turner Field. An APD cruiser approached and told us that if we parked there we shouldn’t expect the car to be there after the game. Or at least not there in the way that we’d left it.
Honestly, my partner and I have owned the building for 8 years now. I’ve had to replace a couple car windows, but the locals haven’t ever given me trouble. The worst thing I’ve had happen was the recently paroled con who tried to sell me a Jeep Liberty for $200... Unfortunately doing the movie car stuff led a few neighbors to believe I might be interested in buying an obviously stolen car. I sent him packing... finally. Took more work than I’d like to admit though.
The building is up for sale currently and when/if it sells I’ll miss the neighborhood and location more than anything else. I’m BLOCKS from both 75/85 and 20 and just laugh as I’m headed against traffic in every direction. The time not spent commuting nearly offsets the cost of city taxes.

Jeremy
We moved out of the city of Atlanta to Smyrna years ago.

Same price Got a house 2x bigger , lot and yard was 10x larger, taxes were 1/4 , and schools don’t have metal detectors at the entrances .

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2020, 10:59:23 PM »
To each their own. I like in town living... I’m always “home by now”...

The truck project has been moving along.  I finally defined the scope of the project:

Phase I:
Interior
Paint
Gauges

Phase II
Brakes

Phase III
Motor

Phase I is ALMOST as checked off as it can be.

I’ve got 3/4 of what I need for Phase II

About the same for Phase III

Jeremy 

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2020, 06:45:18 PM »
Sorry... honestly I’m mostly getting my money’s worth out of my lifetime membership. Ostensibly putting the best parts of the build in this post as well.

Relocated the battery(s):

Made a remote charge/jump point under the hood:

I put some big Wilwood brakes on it:

Last big part of this puzzle is the engine.
At this point it’s looking like a “best laid plans...” kinda thing. I have 85-90% of it in hand:

I’ve paid for a set of AFR heads... it’s been awhile... and they’re not responding currently. Heads are the WAY biggest missing puzzle piece. I’m sure I’ll need bits and pieces, but really hoping to beat the virus.

Jeremy

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2020, 03:45:16 PM »
Loves me some Air Search and Re-flow heads.... ;D
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2020, 04:03:05 PM »
I hope to love them just as much... provided I ever see them. COVID-19 has more money than I’d like, or can afford to have, in the ether. It’s even more irritating as I’m reaching the point of NEEDING these parts.

Healthy and safe, y’all know the drill.

Jeremy

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2020, 04:18:46 PM »
For your encouragement, I run AFR 1041 cylinder heads on my 355 MPFI engine.  I couldn't be happier.  They replaced the Edelbrock Performer heads that IMHO were substandard.  Another potential contender is Trick Flow Specialties.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2020, 05:09:01 PM »
I’m sure they’ll be awesome... I just need to get them.

Jeremy

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2020, 01:30:37 PM »
AFR update... called yesterday. Like all of us, they’re having issues with supply and delivery. Apparently their spring supplier didn’t get an order to them. That’s all understandable... what’s not understandable is me writing emails and then having to follow up with a call to get that info. The fellow I spoke to says they expect springs to arrive this week and to have the heads shipped early next. Good enough to go ahead and do this:

Dad came over to help and pulling the motor went as smooth as possibly. Thankfully.

So now it’s back to waiting on parts. So many items are 3/4 done or better, but to a point where other unfinished projects are holding up their completion.

I’ll polish the transmission up... it’s pretty gnarly... again, the previous owner of this truck seems to have kept it well-lubricated. Plenty of grease or oil where it was supposed to be... or where it landed once expelled from its original place.

I’m doing a stand-alone TCI transmission controller, the Edelbrock EFI and Dakota Digital gauges. As I’m redoing the front brakes I’m thinking I’ll also run new rear lines and delete the rear wheel ABS. I’m doing that mostly cause A) I don’t know if it currently works and really don’t know how it will work without the outputs from the factory computers B) it’s not a pickup... there’s sheet metal and carpet and other stuff and C) cause I can. That’s the answer to so much of the Mickey Mouse stuff I do.

The trans is dirty, but it shifted well before and I’m not gonna fix what isn’t broken as I’m running out of my budget.
Grubby but serviceable.

I’ll update as I’m able.

Jeremy

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
Hello all.
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2020, 10:47:09 PM »
Sorry guys... it’s been a while.

Engine got built:

The world exploded:

That’s all just Atlanta. I was only present for the GSP MRAP’s or APC’s or whatever you wanna call them.

I couldn’t get my phone out quick enough, but last Friday I saw the wildest convoy I’ve ever seen. I’m guessing it was Georgia National Guard, but it was seriously the pneumatic tired variant of an armored support group. Rubber-tired recovery vehicle, mobile bridge(?!?) and a Fire engine(?!?):

All six vehicles were OD green.

For the first time my proximity to the Georgia capital and all the fun stuff downtown is rather a detriment. The constant helicopters make it feel like the intro to Apocalypse Now.

Without taking a stand, politically speaking I hope, the cops in Minneapolis should have known better. They were on film and should have had the situational awareness; what with pandemic lockdowns and general unrest, to get the guy off the street before standing on his neck.

My hometown cops should’ve been better than in Minnesota as far as I’m concerned.
It’s a little personal as the now incinerated Wendy’s was the closest 24/hour food to my shop as well:

All things equal, I’m not surprised at someone falling asleep on line there... the service was horrid.

By my current count I’ve stuck engine and transmission in three times. Hoping the third time is a charm?!? The headers I bought didn’t fit real well. I still have more expendables, material, time and wherewithal than money, so I cut my frame, reinforced it, smashed the headers and tried to cover as much ugliness as possible with header wrap:

Awww... it looks great! Fits perfect! Except the headers aren’t on. And there was no contortion that was gonna change that. Bring out the gas-ax. 

Go ahead and wheel the wire-feeder over as well.

And the rosebud.

Brake lines are gonna need some revisiting... they’re way too close to exhaust heat currently.

And now, ostensibly, all I have left is to plug everything together and hope for the best?!?

I’ve got tubing and bends on the way for the exhaust.

And lots of plumbing and wiring still to go:

This thing is taking way longer than I thought it would. Thankfully I’m mostly still on budget... but crap!!! I should’ve been DONE by now. Way back when I started this thread I was sure I’d bee driving this thing by now.

It was supposed to be EASY!

Jeremy
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:54:32 PM by jeremy.farlow »

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2020, 09:59:57 AM »
As someone who has enjoyed the thrills of burn-through brake line experience at high speed, I can see how you'd want to address that. 

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2020, 10:57:04 AM »
The lines are all steel, doubtful the header heat would be enough to melt them, but more than enough to boil the fluid in the lines causing the same lack of braking action. Oh well... I had to do SOMETHING while waiting for the engine parts to come in. It looks like I’ll be REdoing brake lines in the coming week.

Jeremy

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2020, 02:56:00 PM »
You may be surprised Jeremy....my tan interior was redesigned with a darker brown racing stripe on the drivers seat. 

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2020, 04:29:13 PM »
That wouldn’t happen if you’d give up on the mesh-jockey shorts.

Point taken all the same. The brake lines will move soon enough. They’ll likely sport some sort of sleeve to dissipate heat as well. A new radiator came in my latest Jegs order. I’m not sold on it yet, it’s aluminum, which should transfer heat better than the factory brass, but it’s also only a two-row core, versus the four rows... i believe, of the factory radiator. In any case, the Jegs kit was cheap enough, especially with an electric fan, relays, catch can and hardware. I’m also debating an electric water pump. It doesn’t look like there’ll be enough traffic this summer, even if I get the suburban done before the dog days, but Atlanta traffic ain’t no joke and I need to be able to sit with the engine NEARLY as cool as the cab.

This stuff also came in today’s Jegs order:

I’m hoping 8’ of straight tubing per side will be enough. Plan is to build the crossover pipe as a unit and use the V-bands to allow straight sections w/mufflers to unhook.

Plan is to send the exhaust out in front of rear wheels.

I’m also SERIOUSLY considering plumbing a glow plug, 12v solenoid and propane line to each tailpipe.

You know, cause the only thing better than burnouts are burnouts WITH flames!!! If I have stainless weld-in bungs it’ll be a done deal. I know I have the solenoids and fittings and glow-plugs.

Best laid plans, ya know...

Jeremy

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
Hello all.
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2020, 06:19:09 PM »

I did some rearranging to keep my steps down. The welder and welding table are about half the distance to the vertical bandsaw, so I cut the shop by 1/3 from the normal configuration. There’s gonna be LOTS of trips to the saw...

Like LEGOs... just keep building...

I’m a sadist. I really don’t think I truly needed a Y-pipe, X-pipe or crossover... whatever you want to call it. My concern is the Edelbrock system only has provisions for one O2 sensor. Not like one banks exhaust fumes will travel upstream to impart any info on the O2 sensor, but... I have the means.

It’s a little long from the collectors... and I’ve got stainless flexible couplers that’ll weld in, but the rigid pipes are WAY easier at this stage of the game.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 11:59:26 PM by jeremy.farlow »