Author Topic: 81 K10 Build  (Read 52489 times)

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
81 K10 Build
« on: March 21, 2020, 07:54:19 PM »
I am a recent member that has been reading posts for awhile prior to registration. I have an 81 K10 that I bought in Colorado back in 86. My fuel system got contaminated with rust that accumulated in my fuel tanks and I found my filler necks were not in good condition as well. I removed my bed, drained the duel 16 gallon fuel tanks, and removed them. Unexpectedly, I started stripping the frame and kept removing parts. The restoration began. The fuel system and brake system has been overhauled with mostly new parts to include new stainless fuel and brake lines. In the past, I paid for others to do some work on my truck and have noticed problems from doing so. So far all the work has been done by myself and I bought and learned how to weld to weld in patch panels that I have fabricated. The project started about a year ago. I get together some photos and post them shortly.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
Re: 81 K10 Build
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 08:44:48 PM »
Although my truck looks OK, it has a few issues that made me decide to restore/build. Water leaked into the cab from rust out in the cowl area in addition to the fuel system being rusted as you will see from the photos. The cowl has been repaired by cutting out the rust area(s) and welding in patch panels. My frame was not in bad shape, however, I cleaned, sanded, metal prepped, and costed the frame with KBS Rust Seal and Chassis Topcoat.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:07:28 AM by bd »
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 08:47:04 PM »
Try these other pic again!

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 08:48:11 PM »
These other two pics did not go through last try!

Attached a pic of my new stainless steel fuel lines (these are the crossover) also have the Stainless steel brake lines. Also my new fuel sending units.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 02:30:03 PM by Mike81K10 »

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 08:57:45 PM »
A picture of my cowl - rusted

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 04:04:02 PM »
Getting started required the removal of my heavy fiberglass topper. Being by myself required me to come up with a solution. I made a stand/cart that I could slide my topper onto. It worked out really well and the topper is being stored on it till I finish the build. To remove the bed I made a lift tool and another dolly for the bed of by truck, which it is sitting on till I am ready to restore and reinstall.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:59:40 PM by Mike81K10 »

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 05:23:01 PM »
Wow that's a lot of heavy rust! What part of the country did she live in most of her life?
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 08:15:08 PM »
Thanks for asking JohnnyP
There was heavy rust in the fuel tanks and the cowl area had rust out spots along the seam. However, the chassis (frame) only had a little surface rust and most of the truck was not very bad. Some time ago I had to replace the cab corners. I bought the truck in 86 in Colorado. It has also lived in VA, TX, and now AL. I am the second owner and it was in good shape and low miles when I bought it, of course it was only 5 years old. It was not an A/C truck, will be when I am done with a Vintage Air Gen IV system.

I actually bought the truck after I had a car stolen, which was my first car. It was never found and I bought the truck for pulling a boat and mountain driving. The truck ws purchased just prior to my daughter being born. I took my wife and daughter to Saint Mary's Glacier in Colorado in my truck, hauled firewood from the mountain, and went hunting. St Mary's Glacier has a rough 4x4 trail to get to it and many vehicles did not make it. Can propably be found on the internet. My daughter was in her car seat and was laughing up a storm as a baby, while my wife ws crying (scared). Don't think it was dangerous, just a rough ride. So I have kept the truck and decided to rebuild it and one day perhaps my grandson (just turned 2 years old) will get it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:48:08 PM by Mike81K10 »

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 09:01:15 PM »
The rust in my firewall was cut out and I fabricated new patch panels. The cowl area also needed a couple of small patch panels as well. After welding them in and grinding down the welds, I metal prepped and rust proofed the area. I spray them with 2K Epoxy Primer, then base coated and cleared it. I removed my Wire harness, brake and fuel lines and then my entire chassis was cleaned, stripped of rust (just surface rust), metal prepped, coated with KBS Rust Seal, and then KBS Chassis Topcoat was applied. It turned out well. I also replaced my body bushings and I did a post under Body, Glass, and Paint with the info and pictures on it. It was a lot of work.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:28:13 PM by Mike81K10 »

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 09:16:17 PM »
As I said, my frame turned out OK and I have rebuilt my brake system and am working on the fuel system as well. I installed new stainless steel brake and fuel lines. I am still working on the Cab and have removed the windshield and the rear window. The windshield has no rust around it. However, the rear window does have rust and I have cut out and will weld in new metal around the rear window.

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 09:19:24 PM »
Seems a cab picture did not come through. Will try to post it again! I am new and in a learning stage. Had it get it in JPEG format to show up and just learned that a picture can be added to a previous post by clicking on modify.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:24:50 PM by Mike81K10 »

Online Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 09:31:52 AM »
Nice work on the "save"!  8)
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 03:42:30 PM »
Been putting in a lot of work, still a long ways to go. I have a nut plate missing from my transmission cover and I fabricated and welded in a new one. My bushings were shot and I had to replace them all. As most knows it is a big hassel due to the nut spinning. The metal of the floor support gives and allows the nut to spin around. I welded in 1/8" steel on each side of the nut to prevent it from spinning. I decided to take measurements to locate where the nut would be located. Then I marked out a hole 3" x 1 3/4", measuring the floor pan supports show a 2" width on the inside so the 1 3/4" is very important to keep the holes hidden from under the cab. Used a dremel tool to get a prcise cut out and I fabricated plates to screw over the cutout in case of a future access need. My pictures will show what I am talking about and I did a post earlier on Body, Glass and Paint area.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 03:45:04 PM by Mike81K10 »

Offline DanMcG

• Registered Users
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 04:42:38 AM »
You're doing a great job! Looking forward to more pic's.

Online Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 09:22:03 AM »
You're doing a great job! Looking forward to more pic's.
Dan says it all!
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed