Author Topic: coolant from spark plug hole!  (Read 3301 times)

Offline kingmu

coolant from spark plug hole!
« on: September 10, 2005, 01:44:00 AM »
I finally had my freshly rebuilt engine hooked up and I turned it over a few times to get the oil pressure up before sticking the spark plugs in. Then, to my horror, I saw coolant come from my number 3 plug hole! I dried it off and kept turning it over and didn't see any more. My optimism says to try to start the truck with 7 cylinders hoping the heat will seal the gasket and then I can stick the 8th spark plug in. There was a coolant leak on top of my intake manifold earlier this week and I let the fluid sit there. Is it possible that it leaked through the valve cover (grease sealed, cork gasket) and into number 3? Am I doomed?

ccb

Re: coolant from spark plug hole!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 11:27:00 AM »
Well sound like you have some leaks. something not right. If it were me I would redo the to leaks I dought it will self seal its self.

Craig

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 10:07:00 AM »

Offline kingmu

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 08:53:00 AM »
No RL, it only did it the first time I turned the engine over. Some coolent got squirted out, then it didn't happen anymore.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: Re: coolant from spark plug hole!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 08:53:00 AM »
If it only did it once, I wouldn't be concerned.  It probably got in there when you had it apart.  If it is constantly has coolant, then you would have a problem.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project