Author Topic: replacing clutch  (Read 3134 times)

Offline bladerogers

replacing clutch
« on: October 06, 2005, 11:23:00 PM »
I am doing a clutch for the firtst time and I was wondering if anybody had any tricks or tips for replacing it on a 84 k20 3 speed with a 208.  thanks  

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: replacing clutch
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 07:01:00 AM »
Don't buy a discount or a rebuilt. Spend a little extra and get a name brand brand new clutch. Replace it as a unit not just the disk, by unit I mean presure plate, clutch, bearing, and the pilot bushing. Have the flywheel surfaced, its worth the $30 or $40. it would not hurt to replace the front seal in the trans as well.

Edited by: Blazin at: 10/8/05 9:54 am
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
clutch
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 06:58:00 PM »
Replace the throw out bearing, pressure plate and disc.  Ensure you have a line-up tool to line up the disc to the pilot hole in the flywheel so the trans shaft will slide right in. I once used an old broom stick and filed it down to line up the clutch disc.  Dont tighten up the pressure plate until the disc is lined up.   It isn't fun lifting the trans up and down several times because the clutch disc isn't lined up.

This is my experience working w/ the old fords.  Never had a chevy manual.  I assume it is all the same.

SgtDel

79 pick up 383 stroker

91 suburban