Author Topic: LS Rebuild - Machine Services  (Read 2551 times)

Offline buggjrC10

LS Rebuild - Machine Services
« on: October 05, 2017, 11:15:08 AM »
1984 Chevy C-10
-SWB
-3:73 Gears
-5/7 Drop
-Current: 350 with big cam, and th350.

Good afternoon everyone.  Thanks for the advice on the previous question I posted concerning a 6.0 with a bad oil pump.  I made the purchase and am in the process of breaking it down to have it cleaned with new bearings, seals, etc installed by a machine shop.  Which brings up the next question. 

-What should I expect to spend to have a machine shop clean up the block, pistons, crank, and cam? 

Ultimately, I would like to reach upwards of 400hp at the crank...So I am considering switching cams and heads after I've gotten her cleaned and completed.  Its my first build and I would like to complete it first before making any considerable changes to it.

-I am on the fence about changing the 317 heads for 243/799 heads, but I am not sure.  Are there really any noticeable difference in switching the heads out? 

-Also, do you have any cams you would recommend?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: LS Rebuild - Machine Services
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 05:51:01 PM »
You need to do a complete tear down to determine what machine shop services need to be performed before you can factor in an actual cost. Are you running the stock fuel injection system and PCM? You have to know the limitations of the heads you are using or if you are modifying them. Everything needs to work together so you really need to plan accordingly. what about the rest of the powertrain, is that staying the same TH 350 with 3.73:1?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline buggjrC10

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 12:37:52 PM »
VileZambonie,

I spent the last few days breaking down the engine, and just this morning took it to a machine shop to have the block, crank, stock cam, and pistons hot tanked, cleaned, honed, and bored due to some wear.  The shop owner/operator was gracious enough to walk me through the things he would be doing and what I'd be paying for. 

I have the heads still at home and told the owner I'd return with the heads if I decided to go the "complete stock" route.  They are broken down to the rockers, lifters, and pushrods.  I am figuring my way through the build slowly but surely.  As far as PCM and fuel injection, I planned to run stock or not far off from it.  Its my first LS build with EFI and I didn't want to change too many variables and ultimately screw something up and/or end up with an engine that is more racing than drivable. (I'd like a mix of both).

I am staying with the 3-speed TH350 and 3:73:1 gears.  I will eventually install the 4L80E.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 11:31:22 PM »
There's plenty of info on the web about heads and cams

The computer tuner is important too
They will need  to know what can and heads and transmission and axle gears and tires you use