Author Topic: engine and tranny don't line up  (Read 5490 times)

Offline kingmu

engine and tranny don't line up
« on: June 26, 2005, 12:45:00 PM »
I just dropped my engine back into the truck (350 '79 C10 auto). It is sitting on the motor mounts with the two bolts going through the mount brackets and mounts. But I have a problem. When I pulled the engine, I left the tranny in the truck. Now the the engine and tranny don't line up! I have two bolts on the left side of the bellhousing into the engine, but on the right side there is a one inch gap between the bellhouse and engine. And it appears that both the engine and trans are sagging down at the point where they meet. Like this: /\. I have tried to put a jack on the front of the engine and push the right side back. That didn't work. I've been told to unbolt the trans and push it to match the engine. Any pointers??

Thanks!
Sam

Offline skynyrdfan86

Re: engine and tranny don't line up
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 02:25:00 PM »
i have always pulled the tranny with the motor and pulled the tranny rebuilt the motor then mated them out of the truck but anyways i would try tighting the motor mounts get the motor in position and then loosen the tranny and move the tranny around until it mates up with the motor and then bolt the tranny down. if you do that and it is putting pressure on the both of them, then worse comes to worse pull the motor back out drop the tranny and mate them out of the truck them put them both back in at the same time..

hope this helps some.
              bobby

Edited by: skynyrdfan86  at: 6/26/05 1:31 pm

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 09:53:00 AM »
I would unbolt the motor and raise it a bit then jack your trans up, get them lined up and lower them both down at the same time.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 11:14:00 AM »
I would NOT use the bolts to pull them together.  You need to raise both engine and transmission so they will be at the same gap.  It sounds like your transmission is in crooked.  You should be able to jack the trans off the crossmember and  push it onto the trans if it is an automatic.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline kel

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 05:08:00 PM »
If it's an automatic tranny you better check to make sure the torque converter is in right. I had problems have mine might and it was because the converter wasn't all the way in.  My suggest would be pull every thing back out and mate them, then put them back in. Good Luck8)  

Offline bowtieguy

• Registered Users
  • Country as a Cow Pie
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 01:50:00 PM »
If I have to leave the tranny in place like in a 4x4, always leave your torque converter on the tranny or put it on before you drop in the engine. And make sure to turn the TC and make sure it is all the way on.  If it is all the way on you should not be able to put your fingers between the tranny and the TC.  Makes life SO much easier.

I try to pull them together in a 2WD.  remove all your accesories and distributor and all that is left is 4 bolts, 2 in the cross member and 2 motor mount bolts.  Stratigically place a log chain and your out.

There is my 2 cents,
Brad
ps: to keep from making messes drain the tranny and engine of all fluids before removal :p

Toys:
89 Black Lesabre T 62k miles
03 Lesabre Celebration Edition
08 NNBS CC Z71 LTZ
79 Flat BlackChevy C-10  5.3/4L60E

Offline kingmu

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »
Thanks everyone. It turned out to be the TC. It was not all the way in. If I only would've known before: unhooking the drive-shaft, renting a trans floor jack, removing the trans support, denting all my pans, ... :\  

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
torque converter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 10:46:00 PM »
Look at the bright side, you won't make that mistake again!   Always ensure you push in on the TC and turn several times prior to bolting up.