Author Topic: Rear driveshaft slip yoke and driveshaft length  (Read 13336 times)

Offline krafty33

Rear driveshaft slip yoke and driveshaft length
« on: January 30, 2010, 03:01:14 PM »
Is the slip yoke supposed to be at the transfer case or rear end. When I bought it, it was at the rear. Ive been told it supposed to be at the transfer.  I also put in a 4inch suspension lift. The drive shaft is extended to the point where I can see about 3/8" of spline on the yoke. I had to loosen the collar on the yoke to get it there.I was told to extend the shaft about 1 1/2" so it is free to travel.  Do they make longer yokes or is a new shaft in order? Where is the best place to go?It is a 76 K10 4X4. Thanks for the help

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Rear driveshaft slip yoke and driveshaft length
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 02:37:36 AM »
i take it your talking about the front shaft? i have my slip more to the front dif.. my rear the slip is up at the tranny. now they do make longer ones but its more of a measure it your self and give the measurements to a drive shaft shop that will (a) balance one you made or (b) they will make one for your truck. 3/8 of spines ain't that bad, the way to see if its too short is if you jack up the truck by the frame so the axle will drop to the max it can and see how much of your shaft is still in place, but with a 4" lift you should be OK, i have 6" on my truck and I'm pushing the shafts a little too much need a longer front only by 2 or so inches
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline krafty33

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 08:51:42 AM »
I am actually talking about the rear. How much of the spline shaft needs to be in the slip yoke before you start having problems.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 04:51:24 AM »
take the shaft out and see how long the splines are, but also jack it up and see how much spines you can see

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline krafty33

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 03:27:55 PM »
The guy I talked to who builds the shafts told me the splines should be inside the yoke about a 1/2". I take the word of the guys on this forum before anybody else in regards to my Chevy

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 10:57:19 AM »
The splines should be in the shaft roughly 1/2 the length so it can compress and expand without coming apart or bottoming out.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 04:09:12 PM »
i would say only 1/2" is not enough, what capt said

Offline krafty33

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 04:52:26 PM »
I'm gonna do some measuring this weekend. It is a new lift and will settle a bit I've been told too. Everybody is telling they have never heard of replacing shafts with a 4" lift.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 05:01:25 PM »
If you put a lift on it and you only have 1/2" of spline engagement, if the end ever droops or bounces really well there is possibility of it coming out.  Mark the shaft with it sitting level and then pull it out and see how much you have engaged.

Offline krafty33

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 05:11:48 PM »
Another thing I wondered is how tight does that cap on the yoke have to be. I loosened that up to get a little more play in the shaft

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 05:15:50 PM »
I wouldnlt touch it since it was working before

Offline krafty33

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 06:28:18 PM »
Here's what I got after measuring. There are 7/16" of splines sticking out of the yoke. The total spline length is 2.5" leaving me 2" of spline in the yoke. The yoke itself has room for 5". I was unable to jack it up cuz I dont have big enough stands. Would you guys just run it.  I would think 2" is plenty of room to play with.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 08:53:29 PM by krafty33 »