Author Topic: 10 bolt to 14 bolt rear and stock K10 fron axle to Dana 44 questions  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Patman

Good morning folks!

I couple questions for my favorite Squarebody community...

I am in the process of procuring a 14 bolt rear axle and a Dana 44 front axle.

I have a stock 1985 K10 with the standard 10 bolt rearend and front end.

I will use my truck for daily driving, towinga small bass boat, maybe a motorcycle and trailer and hauling firewood out of the eastern Sierra Nevada Mountians. Maybe hauling a small camper if the wife approves... And some trail riding. Nothing major, just keep in mind I’m out in the desert. So long bumpy dirt roads with a wash out or two to contend with and some rocks the size of footballs in the road.

All of that being said, before I go for broke here, is this a worthy upgrade and what costs am I looking at to get the job done? I’ll be doing most, if not all of the work my self and it suffices to say that I’ve never done this kind of thing before. I have the tools and the time though...

The rearend is a 3 link set up with a disc break conversion and the front end has a high steering set up. As it stands my truck has no lift, it will eventually get 4 inches of suspension. So, what are your thoughts? Advice, experience?

As always, your input is much appreciated.
85 K10 350, 700R4, NP208, Quadrajet, Long Bed w/ 33’s
All stock except for the motor, used to be a 305.

Offline roundhouse

10 bolt to 14 bolt rear and stock K10 fron axle to Dana 44 questions
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 07:00:21 AM »
Pics of the three link ?

I swapped in a 14 bolt after I kept breaking 10 bolts during normal street driving like backing out of parking spaces .....

Just a bolt in swap for me since I have stock leafs all around

Your new axles gonna be 8 lug?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: 10 bolt to 14 bolt rear and stock K10 fron axle to Dana 44 questions
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 07:57:22 AM »
the front axles will pretty much be the same strength (new vs old) you will get a better rear axle and if its a full floater thats even better. the best part about the upgrade is you will be changing your ratio prob to 4.10 which will work great towing and hauling.

now about the upgrades to the axles i think theyll be a waist
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes