Author Topic: Truck won't start in the rain.  (Read 6741 times)

Offline dix32233

Truck won't start in the rain.
« on: December 06, 2011, 09:10:21 AM »
I recently had my igition module and coil replaced. I've noticed when it rains my truck won't start and has to sit until it it dries out(I'm assuming) in order to start. Can anyone tell me what could be the cause of water gettin in there. I might have missed something on this one but now I'm hesistant to drive that thing to work in the rain in fear that it might leave me stuck.  My distributor cap is on correctly so I really don't have a clue. Any suggestions.?

Offline dix32233

Re: Truck won't start in the rain.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 09:25:37 AM »
It's an 84 stepside with a 350 engine

Offline gwgdog66

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 11:01:23 AM »
Two things have happened to me before.

#1 The rubber seal that goes along the back/top of the firewall was dry rotted.
#2 my + cable running to the starter was grounding out on a transmission line. It only shorted out when it rained.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:03:16 AM by gwgdog66 »
US Army Retired
1983 - 2008
387,684 miles on my old 87 GMC (Sold it)

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 08:49:53 PM »
I recently had my igition module and coil replaced. 

Did it do this before you had your ignition module and coil replaced ?  If not then I would start there and make sure they are sealed right.  Sounds like the moister is getting in your coil area and causing it to not start.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline dix32233

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 08:04:13 AM »
It did do it before and thats what I'm leaning towards also. My cap didn't show any wear and tear externally ,so I'm going to take it off inspect the inside and spray it with some wd-40. Then buy some new wires and lube those up with dielectric grease on both ends. Hopefully it works. Couple of weeks ago while I was on base cause I'm military it rained and I had to let my truck sit over night on base til it dried out. Just do't want to go through that headache again and possibly short out my  if this keeps up. Thanks for the input. Will post what happens when it's all done.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
     It really sounds like a problem in your cap, I know moister from rain has keep some of my vehicles from starting before untill I changed caps.  Sometimes it is really hard to see cracks in them that can cause the moister problem you are having.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline dix32233

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 10:21:12 AM »
Thanks. I think I will go ahead and replace the cap to be on the safe side. Will keep you guys posted. Once again thanks for the feeback.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »
if wd40 works when you spary it in/around the cap its your problem
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline dix32233

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 09:44:38 PM »
I  replaced my distributor cap today with an AC delco. I sprayed  inside the cap with some wd 40. I used dielectric grease and lubed everything I could . It fired up like a champ. Now i'll just wait on the Mississippi weather to change to see if it holds up. Thanks guys for all of your inputs. I really appreciate it I'll keep you posted!

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 10:41:57 PM »
     I really hope that does it for you.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 06:04:15 PM »
It's probably rained by now in Miss. But if you're still troubleshooting, you can always spray some water from a spray bottle around the distrib. cap. (don't overdo it) Let it sit for a couple minutes and try to start it up.
Don
87 Chevy Silverado