Author Topic: Truck cranks but will not start....  (Read 4431 times)

Offline mdws1987

Truck cranks but will not start....
« on: December 23, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
I drove my 87 R10 pickup to the post office the other night. I noticed it started to run bad and saw that the volt meter was reading low. It died on me before I got back Home. Tried to boost it and it would died. I took the battery off and had it checked. It was bad. Also the alternator checked bad. I put the new battery and a rebuilt alternator on the truck. Now it cranks (turns over) but will not start. I noticed that the dome light was not coming on, neither the head lights.... The 2 wire plug to the alternator looks crappy. If this plug is bad, could it cause this problem? What could be causing the lost of power to the ignition. Any help will be appreciated......

Offline 1978 454 Big 10

• Registered Users
  • Don't Mess With Texas! :)
Re: Truck cranks but will not start....
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
Sounds like a fuse link down at the starter.
1978 Chevy C-10 Silverado "Big 10" 454, 400 turbo, PW, PDL, Tilt, Cruise, AM/FM, Factory Tach, Dual Tanks, Locking Diff, Sliding Rear Window, Trans Cooler, Cordova Brown/Santa Fe Tan. 052,600 Original miles!

Offline mdws1987

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 05:53:10 PM »
I will look into that. So, an open fuseable link would kill power to the lights and distribitor system?

Offline 1978 454 Big 10

• Registered Users
  • Don't Mess With Texas! :)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 06:21:24 PM »
Yep!
1978 Chevy C-10 Silverado "Big 10" 454, 400 turbo, PW, PDL, Tilt, Cruise, AM/FM, Factory Tach, Dual Tanks, Locking Diff, Sliding Rear Window, Trans Cooler, Cordova Brown/Santa Fe Tan. 052,600 Original miles!

Offline mdws1987

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »
I had the truck towed to a garage. (1). The fuel pump was replaced. (2). The engine computer was replaced. I was told there was grounds from the EMC and may have been the main trouble. The parts and labor cost me $344. I could not get anymore information on the repairs from them.. If I found out anymore, I will post it here.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 06:44:57 AM »
The parts and labor cost me $344. I could not get anymore information on the repairs from them.. 

That statement right there concerns me, being in the service industry for 25 + years, if a customer ask for more clarification on something I fixed, I give it to them.  Granted that sometimes I do not have a solid answer to why something failed except it is faulty.  But at least I can give reasons why it is faulty or failed and the symptoms that caused it.
     I would be weary about someone not wanting to give you information on why they replaced something.  I would go back and ask again until you are satisfied with their answer.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 09:05:41 AM »
x2
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 09:10:17 AM »
why they replace fuel pump and ecm? maybe just one thing. but sounds like they where guessing maybe they fixed it and it was the fusible link or something simple and stuck you with there mistakes
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes