Author Topic: Power cut out while driving, no power at ignition  (Read 10240 times)

Offline nucknoel89

• Frequent Member
  • Proud to be Canadian!
Power cut out while driving, no power at ignition
« on: January 13, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »
Hey all, I was driving home today when my power (electrical) just cut out.  I know that my battery is fine, and likely my alternator too, as my horn and lights work fine, but hazzards, signals, radio, fan, etc. do not.  I don't get any power when I turn the key.  (If it makes any difference I have a 5.3 Vortec.)  I have a hunch that it could be something with the ignition cylinder but does anyone have any ideas?

Offline colton hicks

Re: Power cut out while driving, no power at ignition
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:52:28 PM »
I had this problem with my other truck. It was doing the exact same thing turned out it was the ignition coil what year/model is it?
1980 Chevrolet C10 Silverado, 350 with 4 barrel carter quad recently rebuilt, new shocks, ball joints, bed rails,  steering gearbox, gauge cluster and mirrors. First build/love affair. I recently upgraded from a shadetree to a concrete driveway. Lol

Offline nucknoel89

• Frequent Member
  • Proud to be Canadian!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 09:03:36 PM »
I had this problem with my other truck. It was doing the exact same thing turned out it was the ignition coil what year/model is it?

81 C10 but the engine is a 2003 5.3 litre.

Offline colton hicks

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 09:23:09 PM »
I haven't worked on an engine that new yet but if you can take the coil off  take it to autozone they should test it for next to nothing. But like I said I've never touched an engine that new so idk but that would be what i'd do.
1980 Chevrolet C10 Silverado, 350 with 4 barrel carter quad recently rebuilt, new shocks, ball joints, bed rails,  steering gearbox, gauge cluster and mirrors. First build/love affair. I recently upgraded from a shadetree to a concrete driveway. Lol

Offline nucknoel89

• Frequent Member
  • Proud to be Canadian!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:34:20 PM »
I haven't worked on an engine that new yet but if you can take the coil off  take it to autozone they should test it for next to nothing. But like I said I've never touched an engine that new so idk but that would be what i'd do.

Well I've got 8 coils lol.  It's coil over plug.  But I guess I'll have to do some testing and see where I'm getting or not getting power.

Offline 87454westernhauler

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
check the wire out on the starter. i have had issues withsome of my trucks where the leads off starter get loose and act like what yours does. idk though... :-X
86 c10 350 sbc 700R4 Daily Driver
79 gmc c20 350 th350
78 k1500 4x4 350 th350

Offline colton hicks

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 10:15:47 PM »
Yea my current truck has the coil in the distributor cap

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 05:59:47 AM »
check the wire out on the starter. i have had issues withsome of my trucks where the leads off starter get loose and act like what yours does. idk though... :-X
seen this before also the little red wire would be loose and cause this problem. Even fix a customers problem once right in autozones parking lot he wanted to pay me I just laughed and said for that all I did was craw under his truck and the it had a spade connection so I cleaned the connection and she started right back up never to have this problem again
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline nucknoel89

• Frequent Member
  • Proud to be Canadian!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 12:57:21 AM »
I figured it out.  There's 2 red wires that come off the starter to go to ignition and whatnot.  Anyway they were running near the bottom front of the 5.3's oil pan and the one was rubbing between the oil pan and the drag link.  Fixed and rerouted the wires and it was back to normal.

Offline 1978 454 Big 10

• Registered Users
  • Don't Mess With Texas! :)
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
Hello,

Did you replace the Fuselink, or just use regular wire?
1978 Chevy C-10 Silverado "Big 10" 454, 400 turbo, PW, PDL, Tilt, Cruise, AM/FM, Factory Tach, Dual Tanks, Locking Diff, Sliding Rear Window, Trans Cooler, Cordova Brown/Santa Fe Tan. 052,600 Original miles!

Offline nucknoel89

• Frequent Member
  • Proud to be Canadian!
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 02:48:12 AM »
Hello,

Did you replace the Fuselink, or just use regular wire?
The damage was after the fuselink, I just cleaned up the seperated ends and used a butt connector.

Offline 87454westernhauler

• Frequent Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 11:06:55 AM »
cool! ;D
86 c10 350 sbc 700R4 Daily Driver
79 gmc c20 350 th350
78 k1500 4x4 350 th350