Author Topic: new amp relay wiring  (Read 3662 times)

Offline rusty but trusty

new amp relay wiring
« on: January 24, 2013, 01:59:03 PM »
I am installing a new amp that will work with the factory radio but it uses a 60 amp in-line fuse and i would like it to only be on when the truck is running.

Could i use the control circuit on the fuel pump relay to control a relay for the amp?
 All input is helpful
87 GMC V1500 305 700R4 NP208 and 10 bolts front and rear

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: new amp relay wiring
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 02:12:06 PM »
Clarify - you only want the amp powered when the engine is running?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline rusty but trusty

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »
Yes I would like it to be on only when the engine is running as not to kill battery. also i should have clarified this earlier

OK i feel really dumb there is plug on the amp that says "Remote" which i have learned when given power the amp turns on
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:47:56 PM by rusty but trusty »
87 GMC V1500 305 700R4 NP208 and 10 bolts front and rear

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 06:06:55 PM »
Run the "Remote" connection from the back of your head unit, through a 2-prong oil pressure switch (weblink) threaded into the engine oil galley (accessible near the distributor or down by the oil filter), to the "Remote" connection on your amp.  An in-line fuse should be optional since the 'Remote" connection should be protected by the head unit fuse.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 09:41:35 PM »
Could i use the control circuit on the fuel pump relay to control a relay for the amp?

Run the "Remote" connection from the back of your head unit, through a 2-prong oil pressure switch (weblink) threaded into the engine oil galley (accessible near the distributor or down by the oil filter), to the "Remote" connection on your amp.  An in-line fuse should be optional since the 'Remote" connection should be protected by the head unit fuse.

If you do not go this route, use a circuit that is not vital to your truck running.  If something happened, loosing the fuel pump circuit would not make you a happy camper if you were on a road trip.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:50:27 PM »

If you do not go this route, use a circuit that is not vital to your truck running.  If something happened, loosing the fuel pump circuit would not make you a happy camper if you were on a road trip.

In addition, the fuel pump relay cycles on for up to 20 seconds when the ignition is first turned on, even if the engine is not started - would be annoying, at best; and, as Bake74 pointed out, it could leave you stranded.
Rich