73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Projects Posts (NOT VEHICLES)

73 C10 fuel filling problem solved

(1/2) > >>

markolson:
My son's 73 C10 fleetside has been a PITA to fill with fuel using modern fuel pump nozzles here in California.  The fuel keeps backing up and spilling on the ground, unless the fuel is just dribbled in slowly.  It was always taking forever to fill the tank and there was always spillage.

I finally decided to do something about it, so I bought a donor filler neck from a junkyard 74 and used it to fabricate a new filler neck that allows him to fill his tank as fast as the pump can pump.  FYI, it requires the fuel filler hose from a 79 truck.

Here is the writeup I did for the project: https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/1975f84f-4935-4131-8404-5a914da1afb7/downloads/1c2d31vtv_228632.pdf  (It was too big to attach.)  (File location updated 10/27/2018)

Hope you enjoy it.

Captkaos:
Did you check the hose you removed to see if it was stopped up?  I have never had much of an issue filling one up fast in stock form.

markolson:
The hose we removed was clear and only a few months old.  That was definitely not the problem.

It just refused to accept fuel...

Jason S:
Markolson, that's looks like a neat fix for your fueling problem.

When I had the original bed (with flush fillers) on my '73, I seem to remember issues with pumps in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that had the vapor recovery nozzle (i.e. 'funky rubber nozzles' as an old TV advertisement called them).  Pumps outside of DFW area, without the vapor recovery, worked just fine.

I recall something about having to keep the vapor recovery shielding pulled back or slowly filling when fueling at those kind of pumps...

markolson:
We did need to keep the vapor recovery shielding pulled back and still had lots of trouble getting the fuel in.

But I think you are right.  I think pumps without the vapor recovery system are not a problem.  Of course here in the Bay Area, they all have the vapor recovery systems...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version