Author Topic: Np203 shifter thoughts  (Read 4244 times)

Offline Kimper

• NP203
Np203 shifter thoughts
« on: July 27, 2015, 09:03:48 AM »
The 4wd shifter on my 76 Chevy K10 must be on leg because it's a PITA to get out of 4wd unless of course you crawl under it and push the levers by hand. So yesterday I tried to set it back up using manual and putting the shifter in neutral and using the pin and adjusting accordingly. Well that was a big failure. So I am at the crossroads of what to do. Do I rebuild the factory shifter and try to get that work or do I just suck it up and buy the ORD twin stick set up. What's everyone's thought on the twin stick in a driver where it doesn't go mudding and mainly will be put in 4wd for the winter months. I haven't here or read a lot on these with the np203's so I am just looking for someone or something to steer me either left or right now that I am at the fork in the road..
You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!!!

Offline enaberif

Re: Np203 shifter thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 09:11:41 AM »
I can't justify $200 on a shifter for a NP203. I would rather get a NP205 before all that.

Offline Jason S

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 09:38:38 AM »
My $0.02,

Take your shifter off, disassemble and thoroughly clean it.  When reassembling, thoroughly grease the parts.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 09:46:55 AM »
Remove the shifter knob and boot.  Spread a plastic under the truck.  Using about half a can of Silikroil, or PB Blaster, or WD-40, soak down the whole shifter mech, shooting down through the shifter hole in the floor, while working the shifter lever back and forth.  Let sit for a couple hours; best is overnight.  The next day, hose it down with the other half, while working the shift lever back and forth.  It should get very smooth and easy to move.  Now pour a little engine oil down into it and work it back and forth some more.  Replace shifter boot and knob.  Remove plastic and discard.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:48:31 AM by rich weyand »
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift

Offline Kimper

• NP203
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 10:08:49 AM »
Thanks guys, I guess I will try that first because it's dang near free to do. But where would I find some new rubber grommets that the shifter rods connect to (on the cotter pin side). Mine fell apart when I took my shifter rod out.
You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!!!

Offline enaberif

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 10:18:03 AM »
My $0.02,

Take your shifter off, disassemble and thoroughly clean it.  When reassembling, thoroughly grease the parts.

This doesn't always work. I'm having the exact same issue that even cleaning the shifter mechanism and adjusting the linkage arms I can't get it to properly engage 4HI unless I have a pry bar to force the linkage more forward.

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 08:52:26 PM »
Remove the shifter knob and boot.  Spread a plastic under the truck.  Using about half a can of Silikroil, or PB Blaster, or WD-40, soak down the whole shifter mech, shooting down through the shifter hole in the floor, while working the shifter lever back and forth.  Let sit for a couple hours; best is overnight.  The next day, hose it down with the other half, while working the shift lever back and forth.  It should get very smooth and easy to move.  Now pour a little engine oil down into it and work it back and forth some more.  Replace shifter boot and knob.  Remove plastic and discard.

i had the same problems and this is what i did to fix it.

but as said above it wont always work
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor