Author Topic: TBI problems still kicking my butt!.....  (Read 9145 times)

Offline greeneon_01

TBI problems still kicking my butt!.....
« on: June 25, 2010, 09:08:44 PM »
Ok, ive got an 87 K10 with a 350 tbi/700r4. Ive had problems ever since i bought it. It drove great for 2 days and started messing up. It would run real rough...die suddenly and would be hard to start. Then it wouldnt start. Ive since got it running good after replacing the engine computer, tps sensor, iac valve, and new injectors.
Starts and runs fine but it will die when i stop or slow down. Wont usually start until i hit the brakes or turn the wheel, but it wont do it a cruising speeds just slow speeds or stopping. Ive checked all my vacuum lines. I didnt notice any leaks or cracks in the hoses. I pulled the line off the brake booster thinking that was it...but nope. My pcv valve is good. It also has a fairly new fuel filter. It does have a little miss at idle but driving down the road you dont notice it at all...has good power still.
Could it be something in the emissons? Or could it be a weak fuel pump? Please help!!! Its driving me crazy and I'm pulling my hair out!..lol

Thanks

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: TBI problems still kicking my butt!.....
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 09:14:22 PM »
Check the pick up coil. Check the fuel pump.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 09:14:56 PM »
I got an 88 acts up alot like that, check your egr valve, and also it can be caused by the esc module. I read online alot of the times it's the egr valve though. Also make sure your timing is right, don't trust the balancer, if it's like mine and calls for zero, bring the no.1 up to tdc and make sure that it's all the way up and see where it points and where the rotor points. I noticed on mine advancing the timing made mine act up worse. Plus you have to unplug the timing connector to set the timing and check it.
See all our rides and projects at:

www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454

Offline greeneon_01

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 09:26:24 PM »
How do i check the pick up coil? Ive tried checking my fuel pressure but my dash gauge doesnt work and i couldnt get a fuel pressure tester to hook up to my lines. How else would i check the fuel pump?

The egr valve has already been bypassed. I was told to just leave it rather than replace it cause it wasnt necessary. I will check the timing tomorrow.

Thanks

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 09:30:04 PM »
Does it do it worse when it's warmed up?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline greeneon_01

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 09:33:06 PM »
Yeah when i first start it up and drive it most of the time it will spit and sputter but it wont die. But after a couple blocks it will die when i stop or as im stopping. ive tried holding the gas down a bit or putting it in neutral and giving it a little gas..but once it starts to spit and sputter and can hold it to the floor or pump it and it will still die.

Offline greeneon_01

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 09:38:37 PM »
I do have to add that it does smoke a little. I have some worn rings but other than that it is fine. I plan on pulling it out shortly and rebuilding it but i would like to get it running and driving good before i pull the motor. That wouldnt affect it any would it?

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 09:58:15 PM »
to check fuel pressure you need a t fitting adapter that goes in place of the fuel filter, or one that comes in the fuel pressure tester kit for tbi engines it hooks inline between the tb and fuel line in the back.

As for pickup coil I'd think pull the dist. and have autozone or advanced, or other mechanic check it for you.

When you say egr has been bypassed how was this done? removing the vac. line aint gonna cut it, if it's stuck open it's gonna let exhaust thru it and thus casuing poor performance and idle when cold. I was told the egr and esc were main causes of stalling esp when coming to stop lights. I need to search and see if I can find that again.
See all our rides and projects at:

www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 12:12:44 AM »
does it pop or anything
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline topp

• Frequent Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 07:25:18 AM »
Change the fuel filter to
'90 Suburban TBI 350

Offline greeneon_01

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 08:18:49 AM »
No it doesnt pop or backfire...it just kinda falls on its face. Like its running out of fuel but its trying to run. Thats why i wonder if its a fuel problem. I sat in my driveway last night, had it in reverse with my foot on the brake. I let it roll back to get some momentum and pushed hard on the brake. When it stopped it stumbled like it was gonna die but it didnt.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 09:50:24 AM »
Tee in at the fuel filter and check your fuel pressure. Make sure the tbi base gasket isn't sucked in. Check your ground wires at the back of the cylinder head and intake manifold along with your main grounds.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline greeneon_01

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 12:39:16 PM »
is that something like oreilys or something would rent out? I dont have one handy. My buddys that he had didnt have the right fittings for my truck.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline greeneon_01

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 06:36:18 PM »
Awesome. Thanks ill pick one up and try it out and let you know.