Author Topic: HELP problem with gaspedal / carb  (Read 5953 times)

Offline sammysamm

HELP problem with gaspedal / carb
« on: January 25, 2019, 10:04:54 PM »
Hey guys hope you're doing well. I was trying to start my car the other day pushing on the gas pedal and I heard a little pop sound and now I can't get any gas to go to the engine ..also I look under the hood I see a spring near where the accelerator  cable is on the carburetor .the spring is broken I will post a picture below. what is the spring? is this easy to find or fix any help would be appreciated

Offline sammysamm

Re: HELP problem with gaspedal / carb
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 10:05:48 PM »
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:10:43 PM by sammysamm »

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 07:31:13 AM »
It looks like the accelerator cable is still connected.  The one with the beaded chain on the end should be for cruise control, and the other one next to it is the accelerator cable.

However, I don't see any return spring.  On the throttle bracket that is mounted toward the back of the engine, the bottom part of it should have a hole in it.  This is where one end of the spring goes.  Toward the bottom of the carburetor bracket there will also be a hole, and it should have a metal insert in the hole - looks like a flattened rivet with a hole in the middle.  The other end of the spring goes there.

The standard spring is actually two springs mounted inside the other. The outer one is about 1.25" in diameter and the inner one is about .75" .   You can buy a new return spring set from most Advance Auto Parts and Autozone stores in the performance area.  They will be similar to this one.  https://www.autozone.com/fuel-systems/chrome-return-spring-bracket/spectre-performance-dual-throttle-return-springs/228324_0_0

Bruce

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 11:36:12 AM »
the cable could be broken inside of the sleeve. try to move the pedal while having a friend (or yourself) watch the throttle on the carb and see if it moves. but that wont stop you from getting fuel to the carb as the carb should still be able to idle unless you have other carb problems
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline sammysamm

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 04:30:17 PM »
Ok thanks Bruce that's exactly the part that I need and I think Bruce is correct with what's going on. I also have had a friend take a look and pushed the gas pedal and he said the accelerator still was activated on the carburetor .that it was pressed down with  using the pedal. I still notice my gas pedal feels LImp.. after pressing it nolonger pushes back strongly like it did a week prior. . I am getting spark and but not getting gas what else could be the problem if I'm not getting gas should I see if the fuel pump is working? Truck was running perfect 2 weeks prior. I have a brand new started, alternater,air filter and all 3 belts. Also put in a new battery. Last month. Truck cranks but she doesn't run. Yet.

Offline sammysamm

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 04:33:42 PM »
Bruce i can attach more truck pictures or videos  let me know what you want.

Offline sammysamm

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 06:00:25 PM »
I ordered  the spring today and its coming here rush for 15$total... Should be here on monday.

Offline sammysamm

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 06:35:39 PM »
Pictures of carb and the hole bruce mentioned that spring g should be connected too.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7LUpwyjgsGErhBwx6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wKdShLpJ7yizFE1y8

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 07:07:58 AM »
This is not my carburetor, but the picture has a clear view of how the double spring is connected to the linkage. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/attachments/c3-tech-performance/47660223d1288057560-quadrajet-carb-linkage-with-pics-sn850928.jpg

FYI - This picture is apparently a manual transmission.  On an automatic the kickdown cable would be connected to the hole in the linkage near the bottom.  As you press down the accelerator it rotates the linkage clockwise and pulls the kickdown cable farther out (toward the front), which makes the transmission downshift.  There would also be a support bracket to hold the kickdown cable, bolted to the rear bolts in the intake.

Bruce
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 07:10:08 AM by 75gmck25 »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 11:40:53 AM »
the limp pedal you feel is due to the lack of the return spring. but you have to make sure your carb is getting fuel. you could take the fuel line off going to the carb, direct it into a jar or something and crank the engine and see if you got fuel up to that part
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline sammysamm

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 11:53:50 AM »
Thanks bruce my carb looks almost identicle so i will attach the spring tmrw and try again. Gmk25  thanks for your help. The next thing i will try is filling the tank with another gallon and try to see if gas is coming to engine.  (Gas tank is low) 2 gallons currently  in tank . (this problem started when i noticed fuel was low, i check my gas tank and realize gas attendant forgot to put my gas cap on) not sure if these events are even related to my "no start" prob but i discovers all on same day.... Tragic my poor "big blue" .   i will be pumping my own gas from now on. Here in Oregon its full service ..like jersey. So i did not realize my frigin gas cap was GONe... For at least 3 days...

With what u told me. If im getting  no gas . What is next ? Replace fuel pump

Offline Burkhalter

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 01:59:39 PM »
Something else to look at would be your soft fuel lines. Are they cracked or split? If so you could be leaking fuel and or sucking air.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

'85 Chevy K10 361ci sm465

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 06:42:09 PM »
I had problems with no/little fuel feeding from my passenger side tank, and I finally determined it was deteriorated rubber lines.  The bad news is that you have to drop the gas tank to reach the sending unit and replace the rubber lines.  I managed to get it down to about two gallons in the tank before I dropped it down. 

Since I didn't want to have to drop the tank again anytime soon, I replaced the sending unit and also used SAE J30R9 spec hoses (rated for 90+ psi fuel injection), since the newer type of fuel hose holds up better when they add ethanol to the fuel at the gas station.  You can also use SAE J30R7 hose, which is rated for up to 50 psi.  You might also want to take a quick look at this article from Hemmings. https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/12/05/tech-101-fuel-line-hose-what-you-should-and-should-not-use/

Bruce

Offline sammysamm

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 01:32:36 AM »
I installed the return spring today. It looks good and has fixed the gas pedal floppy feeling. I will try tmrw to start the truck . I dont think there s anything wrong with fuel lines at all. I still need to check if fuel pump is working.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xN7e2d4mtLRcosDy8

Offline sammysamm

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 12:21:08 PM »
I installed the return spring and the gas pedal now feels back to normal. I still am not being able to start the truck. I'm getting start and crank.. nothing wrong with the battery everything running in the car as far as electrics. I'm just not getting gas. how do I go about solving this problem and checking the fuel pump or fuel line ?what should I check .what should I do~? next .
thanks for your help