Author Topic: The Goodwrench crate 350  (Read 7882 times)

Offline Skunksmash

The Goodwrench crate 350
« on: September 12, 2008, 02:18:58 AM »
Im sure some of you guys have bought and installed this engine, and while my motor is not worn out (yet) i have a few questions i would like to ask those of you who own one of these engines. Are you happy with it? Did it give you any trouble or did you have to have any warranty work done to it? Did it feel like it refreshed your old truck? Just curious cause i am sure i will end up with one of these things within a few years.

Offline JJSZABO

Re: The Goodwrench crate 350
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 07:37:26 AM »
I have a crate 350.  It's running but I don't have the truck on the road yet.  It seems to run STRONG.  I have 1 1/2 years out of 3 left on the warrenty.
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 10:23:14 AM »
I have never used a GM crate engine from GM, but, I found an engine builder in Arizona who specialized in 383 stroker engines.  I had already decided on a 383 just from their increased torque. When I emailed him he said he'd put whatever intake I chose and type of cam.  i wanted an RV cam to take advantage of low rpms, but still have a decent idle to it, not TOO lopey.    It came with a warranty and all but never had to do anything to it in the 4 years so far its been in there.  That thing rocks. 
www.delbridge.net/install

Here's a link to some GM Goodwrench engines. I didn't use them, but, thought I'd throw it on here for ideas.  I looked at this site prior to choosing my engine builder.

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=139

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 10:25:51 AM by SgtDel »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 11:57:46 AM »
I have installed an used at least 3 of them in the last 3 years, my father and brother have used them also. 
I had one that has oil consumption issues and it was covered under warranty 100%.

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 01:58:11 PM »
When they covered it did you have to pull the motor back out, or did you just take it to the dealership?
Also, i read an article saying that they use the old pre-1986 rear main seal. Is that still true? If so, are there any disadvantages to this? Seems like they would not have switched it over if the newer one was not better somehow...
And lastly, is it a full roller motor? Be nice to have that upgrade over stock.

Offline camdenoilchange

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 04:41:51 PM »
I can't speak for gm, but in my experience 1 piece seal block parts tend to cost more for some reason. it may be a cost issue to make the crate motors a better price. i'm building up a 96 lt1 right now for my truck and those parts are ridiculously priced, but i'm too far into it to turn back to a traditional 350.

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 07:48:07 PM »
Also, i read an article saying that they use the old pre-1986 rear main seal. Is that still true? If so, are there any disadvantages to this? Seems like they would not have switched it over if the newer one was not better somehow...
And lastly, is it a full roller motor? Be nice to have that upgrade over stock.

It's a two piece seal.  There are not many disadvantages to this, one piece just seals a little better / lasts a little longer, but has a different flexplate/flywheel bolt pattern.  It is not a roller motor at all - flat tappet cam and plain rockers.  This is a bread and butter engine.  But if you are not after a high-performance screamer, they are good little motors.  Slightly better than any 350 ever offered in these trucks stock.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:50:00 PM by eventhorizon66 »
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 11:13:56 PM »
The advantage of the 2 piece is you can use all of the existing components.

I dropped it off at the dealership, they did a consumption "test".
Basically they checked it and send me off and told me to come back in a week without adding any oil.  I told them I would be back tomorrow because it used 1 quart in the 20mile drive to the shop.
The next day I drove it in and it was 2.5qts low...
They didn't graciously replace it.  The service writer must have thought I was an idiot with the crap he was spewing out.  I told him "you are going to replace it..."
I called the parts manager and then I called the OWNER of the dealership telling them the crap that the service writer was saying without telling the service writer.  I told them if they want to scam buyers they should get a service writer that has a freakin clue about how an engine works...  Both said, "Oh, the warranty motor, yeah should have the replacement (2 days later".

2 days later service writer calls and says you truck is ready and it will be $XXX.  I told him I don't think so and that I would be there to get it.  An hour later I show up and he gives me the ticket and I tell him, if anyone is going to pay that, it is you.  He gets a little agressive and I ask to use his phone, he says sure.  I dial the Owner of the dealerships cell phone on speaker and ask him why this guy is giving me crap.  Service writer flips out!   Owner tell him that there will be no charge and he needs to see him in his office.   I went back a while later and he wasn't there anymore....

BTW, they make a good foundation for some good power, there is a tech article on where a mag started bolting stuff on it...
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=8639.0

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 12:03:48 AM »
Awesome. If we need muscle at the dealer (stealer) we call Chris....
Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline scpscpscp

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 05:37:15 AM »
I purchased one about 4 years ago and and have had no problems at all.  I kept track of all required maintenance in case something do go wrong for warranty purposes.  Never did.  It is not a strong motor and will begin doing bolt on improvements in the spring.  I may need the 4 wheel drive since the Farmers Almanac has everyone scared to death by saying we are going to have a COLD and HEAVY PRECIPITATION winter in the midwest.  Give it a shot!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 12:19:21 PM »
I was never impressed with the quality of the Goodwrench engines. They are cheaply rebuilt mexico engines. When I worked for GM we had several engines we installed that ended up coming back out. A friend of mine uses Jasper Engines exclusively and swears by them.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 08:11:50 PM »
I was never impressed with the quality of the Goodwrench engines. They are cheaply rebuilt mexico engines. When I worked for GM we had several engines we installed that ended up coming back out. A friend of mine uses Jasper Engines exclusively and swears by them.

Eww, mexico... :-X Gross. Where are the Jasper ones built-rebuilt. Do they have a website? After reading this thread i think it may be better for me to have mine professionally rebuilt.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 11:46:38 PM »
I prefer building my own but...

http://www.jasperengines.com/gas-engines.htm
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 01:46:09 AM »
Dang. http://webapp.jasperengines.com/webcat/catalog.asp

Sounds like a big improvement over stock engines. After watching a few of their videos they have on that site, and finding out the the GM crate is remanufactured in mexico (ew) i think i can bear to pay a couple hundred more bucks for the superior Jasper engine. Well that link Didn't work out but for the 350 we all love they list like 8 upgrades they do to the engine that fix the flaws of it's time. It's all to add better reliability to the motor. And it's only $1800 bucks. But it's like $2400 for the one with stainless steel valves, although i really don't know how that helps...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 01:51:23 AM by Skunksmash »