Author Topic: Horn wont work  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Canadian 4X4

• Frequent Member
Horn wont work
« on: May 09, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »
have an 85 chev 2wd. i have printed off the wiring diagrams and taken them with me to the shop, but i cannot figure out how the horn works or why it doesnt work. i have the steering wheel off as i had to change the tumbler. which fuse does the horn get power from? i probed all the fuses the only one i can find that doesnt work is the instrument lights. i have no power through fuse block there. i have been tracing wires and cant find where i should be getting power from.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: Horn wont work
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 07:42:31 PM »
     Since you have the steering wheel off, do you get power to the disk inside your steering wheel that has a power wire attached and is the disk the horn button pushes and grounds to complete the circuit ? 
     Have you checked your horn/horns themselves to make sure they were not shorted out and bad ?
     The best way for you in your situation is to check the power at the "disk" since you have the steering wheel off, then report back, if you have power there then it is a issue in the steering column, wiring to horns, or horn itself.  If you do not have power then it is before the "disk", either the power wire got cut or fuse like you said.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Canadian 4X4

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 09:38:57 PM »
i do not have power to the disk and i do not have power in the engine compartment. horn was tested works fine. which fuse is the horn run off of? i have the fuse block pulled away from the fire wall but didnt see the black wire with the green stripe. didnt look very hard though was very frustrated and gave up for the night.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 11:16:27 PM »
Has the horn ever worked since you've had the truck?  Make sure the horn relay is there under your dash then check for power to the relay.  The horn contact in the steering column completes the relay ground to energize the relay, which then feeds the horn.  The relay should have fused battery power to it all the time.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Canadian 4X4

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 02:27:30 PM »
i just got the truck on friday so no it has never worked for me. i will test the relay if i can find it, and see what i find.

Offline Fairlane514

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »
On my 84 The horn is "fused" along with the interior lights and cigarette lighter.  The fuse should have power on both sides with the key off.

Offline Canadian 4X4

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 02:43:49 PM »
i got it working now kind of a fluke. but its good now.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 03:10:37 PM »
Edumacate us - what was it? 
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline Canadian 4X4

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 07:07:29 PM »
bad fuse that i overlooked, loose wire on the fuse block. and bad ground on the horn. i ended up pulling everything back apart and starting somewhat fresh. and everything kinda fell back into place.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 08:19:03 PM »
Ahhh yes!  The world of auto mechanics.  Glad you got it fixed.   :D
Rich

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 06:34:42 AM »
bad fuse that i overlooked, loose wire on the fuse block. and bad ground on the horn. i ended up pulling everything back apart and starting somewhat fresh. and everything kinda fell back into place.

Sometimes multiple problems are the worst to solve, glad you got it working and hopefully learned something you can pass on in the future.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom