Author Topic: We need help identifying this frame  (Read 626 times)

Offline dalealan

We need help identifying this frame
« on: March 06, 2024, 02:38:01 PM »
My brother is building a 50 model Chevrolet Truck. The frame is out of a square body truck. But he does not remember what the year model it came out of. We have looked the frame over and have only found a set of numbers on the passenger side of the frame just to the rear of the Transmission Cross member. There are no numbers anywhere else on the frame. The frame has a 10 bolt rear end. We took the brake pads off and went to the parts store and they couldn't narrow it down for us. I am posting a picture of the numbers on the side of the frame. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. I can post more pictures of the whole frame if it would help. Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 09:19:36 PM by dalealan »

Offline Mike81K10

Re: We need help identifying this frame
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 03:09:29 PM »
I think the number should have some letters in it for a VIN number on the frame. The number should be on the passenger side on frame about where the passenger sits. That number could be the part number for the frame/chassis. If I am off, others on here are more knowledgeable.

Take a look at the November 13, 2016 post, it might clarify the information for you.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=34003.msg289406#msg289406
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 03:14:26 PM by Mike81K10 »
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 03:34:10 PM »
My 74 has the vin number on the top of the frame by the steering box. Hope this helps

Offline dalealan

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 04:28:29 PM »
I think the number should have some letters in it for a VIN number on the frame. The number should be on the passenger side on frame about where the passenger sits. That number could be the part number for the frame/chassis. If I am off, others on here are more knowledgeable.

Take a look at the November 13, 2016 post, it might clarify the information for you.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=34003.msg289406#msg289406

Hey Thanks.
Thats exactly where these numbers are. I read that thread before. There are no nummbers anywhere else on the frame.

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 09:15:37 AM »
Post a pic of the inner/outer pads, I'll check 'em out through the FMSI book.  Part numbers on the shocks might narrow it down, but probably not much.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 08:52:13 AM by Shifty »
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 02:54:45 PM »
numbers could be on top of the framerail anywhere (even under the bracket), bottom or side...  If there is an 8 digit number that would be the rail part number.  They were most likely on that rail that has been sanded on.

With that said, you potentially have 1979-1980 SWB frame assuming the 10bolt came factory on it.

Offline dalealan

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 04:54:16 AM »
numbers could be on top of the framerail anywhere (even under the bracket), bottom or side...  If there is an 8 digit number that would be the rail part number.  They were most likely on that rail that has been sanded on.

With that said, you potentially have 1979-1980 SWB frame assuming the 10bolt came factory on it.

I took a wire brush and scuffed the frame rail and it doesn't have any numbers anywhere on it except the ones in the picture. And they are on the side right behind where the trans crossmember attaches. The 10 bolt rear end narrows it down some for me.  I'm thinking there has to be a casting date or code somewhere on the rear end. Im going up there to look today. Thanks so much for the info!!!  It's a big help!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 05:01:47 AM by dalealan »

Offline dalealan

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 04:57:36 AM »
Post a pic of the inner/outer pads, I'll check 'em out through the MSI book.  Part numbers on the shocks might narrow it down, but probably not much.
Hey thanks, I will get up thee today and get more pictures
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 05:00:17 AM by dalealan »