Author Topic: '76 old aftermarket rear bumper  (Read 4315 times)

Offline BSR63

• '76 rust project
'76 old aftermarket rear bumper
« on: November 10, 2013, 04:09:16 PM »
Here are some pics of a terribly mounted after market bumper on my 76 fleet. I am wanting the original slim chrome non-step style. What I am concerned with, is that when the previous owner(s) mounted the class III and step they may have cut off more or jacked it so bad I am kinda stuck with it.
I am going to cut off the do nothing bolts and sawsall the plate to release the current step bumper.
Does anyone have a clean pic, or can you take a look at what I have a describe if original mounts will work, or if just looks bad.
Appreciate the assistance.

Offline Jason S

Re: '76 old aftermarket rear bumper
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 07:52:33 PM »
In my opinion:  What you have doesn't look real pretty, but it is repairable. 

It looks like you may have to do some weld grinding.  It would be ideal to weld in some metal where it had been torched out and then drill out holes as needed.  From the photos, one can pretty much see where you may want to rebuild the rear of the frame.   

If you need, I can take and post some photos from one of my trucks.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 07:54:58 PM »
It looks to me that all of the original frame is there except for the torch hacked area on the edge in the first pic that, as Jason mentioned...should be welded up & squared off again.
 Here is a photo of the rear of my frame. It's an'85 so it has a few extra/different holes, but you can see the Two near the back edge on your truck & mine, also the one slightly forward in between them (on yours, with the bolt/nut in it) is there for reference. Keep in mind...my brackets are home-made to mount the bumper to look right with the body drop & they don't mount in the correct/original fashion.
It appears you should be able to do as you describe...cut the crap off, bolt the correct stuff on. I would true up the back edges to do away with the bad memories & complete the correct holes. Hope this Helps, Lorne

Offline BSR63

• '76 rust project
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 08:13:58 PM »
Thanks for the pic, that says alot of what it should look like.
Honestly I was hoping that I could just use one or maybe two of the correct bolt holes and wing/weld it from there. The best answer is repair and re-drill as needed.
The passenger side is the worst off, but both need some sort of love.
Appreciate the insight guys.

Offline BSR63

• '76 rust project
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 08:38:15 PM »
Jason,

If its not too much trouble a pic from your 74 may give me an idea of the depth and maybe which hole I can use a guide for the other two.

Thanks,

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 03:10:57 AM »
Your frame isn't as "messed up" as maybe you are thinking it is. Unfortunately, I can't do "paint" on the computer like many can or I would circle the holes for you. The holes are all still there on your frame...the top & bottom of the "C" are still there, you just need to make some passes with a welder on a bit lower heat than normal to build up the missing vertical. In the first picture the top hole has a glop of weld in it & the bottom hole has been torched partially away, but it is still clear where is is. Your truck has the 56" springs so the rear perch is farther back than mine would be. There are only 2 extra holes in the side of my frame compared to yours...the real small one toward the top & the slightly oval one just below the center (with the rust around it in the pic below). The 3/8" holes near the top & bottom just ahead of that is what your spring hanger is in. The vertical oval hole is hidden (can be seen in your photos showing the inside of the frame). I have moved my rear crossmember back. You can see the Two original holes in your frame that I have the bolts in on the bottom of the "C" in the photo below.
 Cut that crap off, true up the back edge & clean up a couple holes is all you need. Once you have the correct brackets, which holes are used will become clear.
Here's a another pic's...hope it helps.

Offline BSR63

• '76 rust project
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 08:07:50 PM »
Perfect, that helps even more. You are correct about the springs. I think that is what I was not grasping. Looking at it, I was thinking that a portion of the bracket may have to be mounted between the spring shackle.
Getting the brackets will turn the lights on for sure. I have a limited source for salvage yards here in Pueblo, and may have to purchase some the store if I dont get any luck. Seems like everyone tossed the original bumpers if they had them and went with aftermarket steps.

Appreciate the insight and explanations. time to print some pics for some side by side comparison.