Author Topic: '75 Chevy K20 Creased/Kinked Hood Repair  (Read 4089 times)

Offline kenyonnic

• New Users
'75 Chevy K20 Creased/Kinked Hood Repair
« on: January 29, 2015, 12:54:27 PM »
Hi there,

I am looking to see if anybody has any tips on how to remove the creased/kinked portion on my hood? Its on the drivers side mainly both on the top part and under part of the hood, right where the spring and everything mounts to it. There is a small part on the passenger side but really I'm looking to see how to remove this with out having to buy a new hood. I already have new support brackets made for it. just seeing seeing if anyone has good tips on this.

Thank you Very much
NK

Offline enaberif

Re: '75 Chevy K20 Creased/Kinked Hood Repair
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 07:10:02 PM »
You can sometimes place a 2x4 on the front of the truck and then then push down on the hood where its creased and pull it out. The problem is that once its happened its hard to not happen again unless you put some heavy duty reinforcement underneath it.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 12:21:32 AM »
like stated once its bent it will only keep bending. you can help by spraying the hinge down with wd40. my 79 did it i bent it back and placed a couple 1" wide pieces of stainless steel flat bar and screwed it to the underside right at the side. after 81 they changed the hood design and the bent hood is no longer a problem on those models. but you cant use that hood unless you change the whole front clip and some other mods

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=8998.0
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline ehjorten

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 02:33:37 PM »
Best thing to do it lubricate your hinges with some white lithium grease!  You will be surprised at how effortlessly the hood will open and close!  You need to get it in your mind to just do that periodically (couple of times a year) or whenever you notice excessive resistance.
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 11:56:32 PM »
know its been a while but i finally got out to my mud truck. heres the repair we did
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes