Author Topic: Need a new Rear End in a Hurry!  (Read 3742 times)

Offline gregness

• New Users
Need a new Rear End in a Hurry!
« on: September 13, 2012, 05:52:53 PM »
I recently bought a 1984 K20 with a 6.2 diesel and 700 R4.  I got it cheap, and anticipate doing alot of mods and repairs. I took it to my mechanic for initial inspection and servicing, and he tells me the diff housing is full of metal shavings and the posi unit is destroyed.  He also told me this is a very light-duty 3/4 axle, that i should go to a full floater if possible.  Questions I am hoping you guys can help with:

What year 3/4 ton truck and Suburban axles will bolt in?

Is the standard axle set-up that lame? (Know this- I am going to install the Banks turbo kit, which allegedly increases torque and horsepower by about 50%- which will still be gutless compared to my 2006 Duramax. Probably about 200 HP and 370 ft/lbs if I am lucky))

We have to verify but it seems very likely it has 3:42 gears and they are not common in the big full-floating units.

Really appreciate any help I can get!

Gregness

Offline Edahall

• Frequent Member
Re: Need a new Rear End in a Hurry!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 04:00:23 AM »

What year 3/4 ton truck and Suburban axles will bolt in?

73-87 trucks and 73-91 Suburbans will definitely bolt in

Is the standard axle set-up that lame? (Know this- I am going to install the Banks turbo kit, which allegedly increases torque and horsepower by about 50%- which will still be gutless compared to my 2006 Duramax. Probably about 200 HP and 370 ft/lbs if I am lucky))

No, the standard 3/4 ton axle set-up is plenty strong behind a 6.2.  It'll take a little more than that to get 200 hp.  You would either need to install larger precombustion chambers in the existing heads or install 6.5L heads that already have the larger precombustion chambers.

f
We have to verify but it seems very likely it has 3:42 gears and they are not common in the big full-floating units.

Yes, find out what you have first.

Make sure you also replace that harmonic balancer if it's old.  When those go out, your engine also goes out.  Also, now might be a good time to replace those oil cooler lines.  They have been known to break off.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 04:04:40 AM by Edahall »
1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
-Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
-6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
-Gear Vendors Overdrive
-Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears
-2" Lift

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Re: Need a new Rear End in a Hurry!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 07:27:47 PM »